• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set Adobe Reader as default PDF viewer on Windows 10?

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft Edge is the default program for opening PDF files on Windows 10. In four easy steps, you can make Acrobat DC or Acrobat Reader DC your default PDF program.

• Right-click the thumbnail of a PDF file, and then choose Properties.
  • In the file's Properties dialog box, click Change.
  • Do one of the following:
    • If you have Acrobat DC or both Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC, choose Adobe Acrobat DC and click OK.
    • If you have only Acrobat Reader DC, choose Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and click OK.

Note:

If your computer settings are managed by a system administrator, you may not see the Change button. Sign in using an administrator account or contact your administrator to get the button enabled.

Tell us if these helped you. Join the conversation here. We are listening!

To discover a host of other great features –

Go straight to: Print to PDF | Configuring your Printer | PDF Printing in Acrobat | Printing Complex PDF Documents

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok tq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These steps do not work for PDFs stored in SharePoint - they always open in the browser, irrespective of the Win10 file handler settings. With some browsers there is an Acrobat extension which does allow you to then open the PDF in the app, but there is no extension for Edge browser on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Acrobat DC and also Acrobat Reader DC installed on my computer and I want to make Acrobat Reader the default app.  I changed the settings as per the above instructions however, whenever I open open a PDF file, it open it oin Acrobat DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same issue.  No matter how many times I change the default to adobe, somehow edge keeps re-establishing itself as the default.  I have not been able to stop this from happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The adobe help-line team just awesome.

rajeshbhadra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines