• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to view 2 pages in a pdf file side by side in Safari browser

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a multiple page pdf file in my Safari browser, there doesn't seem to be a way to view 2 pages side by side (like I can when I am using Adobe Reader). Any assistance appreciated!

TOPICS
How to , Mac , PDF and browsers , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

This is question to ask in a Safari forum, as the PDF plugin it uses has nothing to do with Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is question to ask in a Safari forum, as the PDF plugin it uses has nothing to do with Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try67, I believe you are right. The only workaround I have found is to do a "file - save as" and place it on my desktop. Then when I double click to open, Adobe Reader is the default for opening pdf files. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problem using Windows 10 - I was once able to view e-newspapers with the front and last pages single and the intervening pages double but cannot do this anymore on a new PC.

I am disabled and not very competent at seeking help in the right place - please can you direct me to where I may obtain help - as I realise my problem is not Safari Browser related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Adobe software to view the file? If so, which one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67,

My files are located in Google Drive as pdfs. When I double-click on any pdf to open it, it opens with one of the selected apps, but always in my Safari browser (even the Adobe Acrobat is in the browser window). This is the problem...always opening in the browser. I have to have it open in Adobe Acrobat, outside the browser window to have the options available to show two-page view side by side. That option is not available in the browser view. So, I extract the pdf from google docs and download it to my desktop (iMac 27 running Catalina) and then open it in Adobe Reader, which I have as one of my applications. This gives me the two-page view I am looking for. I hope that makes it clearer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you need to change the settings of the browser to open the file using Reader, or to save it locally, instead of opening it by itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TRY67
Safari offers different ways to open files (drop down list dependent on the format of the files), but it still opens them in a Safari browser window (i.e., the app opens inside the browser window), thus negating the functions available if the app were to open outside the browser. Do you know how to select a file from a Safari browser and open it in Adobe Reader outside that browser window???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Possible Fix.

Ran into this issue supporting our Apple user in Safari. I could not duplicate the issue in Chrome or Edge. They viewed same .pdf linked from 2 different pages rendering differently. One with spreads (linked with the absolute URL in javascript), the other only showing the even-numbered pages of the spread (from a relative URL). Apparently Safari has this issue with the file from a relative URL vs absolute. When I changed the URL of the page in question to absolute the spreads appeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines