• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't get Acrobat Reader DC to quit!

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!!! I can't turn my computer off because it says that Adobe Acrobat Reader DC still has a task running and that I need to close the task before it can close the program and then turn my computer off. Problem is, I can't close the window and it doesn't even let me quit using the tool bar.

Thanks!!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PRISCILLA CHASE DURAN,

Could you please let me know the reader version and the OS version on your system?

Please try referring to this article : Troubleshoot errors, freezes | Adobe Reader | Windows

Also if you have a windows OS , open task manager by holding CTRL+ALT+DELETE on the keyboard and close any of the task open related to reader .

Let us know if this helps.

Regards

Sarojini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this helped me close multiple programs that were frozen or you just cant close them. Thanks so much! (I used the ctrl+alt+delete method.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same problem and am on Mac OS X el capitan 10.11.6. I can't close the software or open a new pdf file. Furthermore, it keeps me from turning my laptop off, I had to do it manually by pressing the button.

Is there a solution to this problem ? I could really use one.

Thanks.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David%20dafflon,

If there is any trouble closing the application directly then you need to quit it from the Activity Monitor.

Go>Utilities>Activity monitor>Select process >Quit

Kindly go through the help document to get more details of how to close the running processes from activity monitor-

Use Activity Monitor to identify and quit processes using large amounts of system resources | Mac OS...

you just need to select and force quit the Adobe process (Reader) which is not closing directly.

let us know if that works.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to answer and to have done it under such short notice.

I'm happy to tell you that it worked, you cannot know how grateful I am for this. Thank you a lot for the help.

Kind regards,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that worked for you.

You're most welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same problem on my MAC

Why is it so hard to closer your program? 

What does this even mean:   Go>Utilities>Activity monitor>Select process >Quit   ?? 

WHere do I find 'Go>' ?? I don't know what you mean by 'Go>' 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a IT tech and was going through old forums for a solution to this. We have a 3rd party app that uses Adobe reader/acrobat. The only problem was that Adobe reader/acrobat stopped auto-closing the application after the update Adobe reader/acrobat 10.1.1. The process would stay open in taskmanager and run behind the scene for easier access. Shame is, most 3rd party apps trust this version as a dedicated version but there's an issue with adobe trying to fix the problem. Well, I have good news for you. You can check the version of adobe reader and create the registry editor.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\Privileged]

"bProtectedMode"=dword:00000000

This is the reg file I did and found. after creating and running, this should force close the app after you close instead of building apps in taskmanager to fill your list of background apps. Hopes this helps. I found it from someone in 2013 and thought I should share with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there! Same happened to me and then I solved it by accident.

Go to apple icon on top left of tool bar.

Select "Force Quit"

Screen pops up giving you choices of which application you want to force quit.

Select -you guessed it!- Adobe.

It should then close it for you.

I didn't do this at first because I thought "Force Quit" under the mac icon referred to forcing the computer to quit.

Hope that helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the option of "force quit" as I was also having the problem of "quit" not working in MacBook 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, grace! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, THIS IS A SAVING GRACE, THIS ABSOLUTELY WORKED FOR ME!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:

I must quit Abode Reader but can't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, so annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Force to quit on mac  doesn't kill it. A restart of Mac is needed to get it closed, and after that an uninstall of the programm!... Adobe kills your whole system, so it's time for a similar program, f.... adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe software behaves like an adware. It forces you to sign in sometimes and actually refuses to quit. Adobe must be proud of this bug, else they would have already fixed it. It captures screen attention and won't stay out of focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines