• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't print my PDF file in color, only black & white!

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, so I am trying to print my .pdf file in color, but it only prints out in black & white, even though it's in color on the screen itself.

I made the .PDF in word and then converted it to a .PDF .. Could it be some word settings?

I can print out other .pdf files normally in color, so it shouldn't be the printer settings.

Everything is up to date, driver etc.

What should I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

So I figured it out.

First I took a .pdf file and converted it to .docx file so I was able to edit it then.

Then as I was done editing it, I converted it from .docx back to .pdf and the colors wouldn't show up, only on the screen.

So I researched quite a bit, and figured that the problem might have been inside word.

So in word I went to FILE -> OPTIONS -> DISPLAY -> And then CHECK :white_heavy_check_mark: the box "Print background colors and images".

And that was what caused the problem

So all good

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Meteora,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, you are not able to print a PDF file in color using Adobe Reader, Is that correct?

Please navigate to the Printer Properties, open the Print dialog box>Click on Properties>Advanced>Make sure that Print all text as black is not enabled.

In the Print dialog box, make sure that " Print in grayscale(black and white)" is not selected.

You may also refer and try the troubleshooting steps from the following Adobe article Troubleshoot PDF printing in Acrobat and Reader

If it is specific to one PDF file, Is it possible to share the PDF file with us so that we can test it at our end? To share the file, please use Adobe Send feature, upload the file, share the link to files via private message only, How Do I Send Private Message

Make sure that you have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed, check for any pending updates of Adobe Reader from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after updating Adobe Reader.

Also, make sure that you have the latest driver and firmware of the printer installed.

What is the dot version of Adobe Reader installed? To identify refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Is it a Mac or Windows machine and what is the version of the operating system installed?

What is the make and model of the printer and the version of the printer driver installed?

let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I figured it out.

First I took a .pdf file and converted it to .docx file so I was able to edit it then.

Then as I was done editing it, I converted it from .docx back to .pdf and the colors wouldn't show up, only on the screen.

So I researched quite a bit, and figured that the problem might have been inside word.

So in word I went to FILE -> OPTIONS -> DISPLAY -> And then CHECK :white_heavy_check_mark: the box "Print background colors and images".

And that was what caused the problem

So all good now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it's working now and you are back on track! Nice job troubleshooting that!

Feel free to update this discussion for any further assistance.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was at a loss knowing what to do and then found this answer (solution). It worked like a charm! I can breathe again.

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

I don't know, I receive certificates of my daughter and everything comes in color and It would print only in Black and white.  I lost hope with PDFs any more and in fact I kept insisting on other form of documents including JPGs.

Why are you guys keen on making it black and white as default?   The cost is users discretion?

What I now do is, when I receive a certificate I just use screen snipper to paste it to a JPG or other formats and print it out.

For me none of the options work that is given above.

Thanks, Would be great if future versions are tested for these issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded the pro version on my new computer.  NONE of any of your directions from any replies in this chat will get me to any of the options.  if this is progress I HATE it.  I used to be able to print in colour.  Now I spend a premium per month to have my colour options taken away from me.  thanks for nothing Adobe.  I will have to consider if I cancel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what worked for me:

1. Go to edit

2. Go to preferences

3.Tap Accessibilty

In the box "Document Color Options", see if "Replace Document Colors" is on. If so, Click it off, then OK.

Hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With respect to the "helpful" answer from Adobe support, it simply does not work.  I am pretty sure anyone who got here already tried the options suggested by Adobe, and of course they have made sure that the "print in black and white", or "print in greyscale" options are not ticked.  Everything else prints in colour, from any other program, but nothing printed from inside the Adobe Reader program will print in colour.  ADOBE, you need to fix this!

There is however a simple solution that anyone using a Mac can use to solve this.

SOLVED: SOLUTION BELOW

Use your Mac's built-in "Print Preview" program to print the document.  It will print it in colour.

To do this,

1. Use Finder to locate your .PDF file.
  2. Right click once on the file name.
  3. The second option on the pop-up list is "Open with"
  4. Select "Preview.app"*
  5. Follow the usual procedure to print, i.e. at the top left of your monitor click on "File", then select "Print" at the bottom of the menu.   Make sure the "Black & White" check-box is un-checked, and that you have selected your normal colour printer, and click "Print"

*In the event that you don't see "Preview.app" in the list of programs, scroll down to the botttom of the pop-up list where you will see the option "Other".  Click on "Other", and you will be able to find the "Preview.app" in your "Applications" folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue too. Haven't been able to get Adobe Acrobat Pro to print in color with any of the suggested fixes. If I import the PDF file in Photoshop it will print in color. Any other places to look for the obscure setting that is f**king this up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem as well.

Thanks for the idea to use 'preview' app. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up. We downloaded bankfiles that were PDF format. We altered lines using Adobe Acrobat with color highliting  and notation. We transfered those PDF files via email attachment to another computer that controled the printer and opened them there in Adobe Acrobat. They displayed properly, but would pring only in B&W. eliminating the highliting and the notes! Working through tears of frustration I tried to open them in Photoshop, which displayes PDF files, but my computer wouldn't offer that choice.  But it did offer to open the filed in the Firefox browser. I opened them there; they displayed exactly as desired and  printed perfectly! My wife said "what is Firefox?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like others here, I cannot print a pdf in color even though I've followed all of suggestions.  So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all other suggestions, but what worked for me was:

In the print command, go to COMMENTS & FORMS. In the drop down menu where it says SUMMARIZE COMMENTS, Select DOCUMENTS AND MARKUPS.  It immediately showed the colors in the preview. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried everyone's suggestions and nothing worked for me except for your steps.  Thank you so much you saved me time trying to figure this out! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my voice to this issue. I still cannot print any Adobe PDF document in colour. Tried everything. Very frustrated. Impacting my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to this. I use pdf to print my stickers for my business and it WAS working until I upgraded my plan to all apps for this year. The acrobat was updated and now stopped printing in color and I've either done EVERYTHING suggested or the option isn't there.

I'm furious because I was printing stuff for a convention TOMORROW! I had JUST updated this and did not expect it. And I can't even get access to my old version to print in color! I'm distraught.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super frustrating but this worked for me:

Go to File/Print/Advanced and check the box for "Print as Image" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines