• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is anyone else having the problem with Reader not opening on Windows 10?

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes we get pop-ups saying that the DDE server can't be contacted and sometimes it just starts the Adobe Reader process but never launches the program. I've seen this problem before many times but it's usually resolved by reinstalling, updating or changing a registry key but this time reinstalling works for about 10 minutes and then the problem comes back again. There's nothing in the event logs to suggest a problem and the only difference I can find in this instance is that the user is exclusively opening PDF's from attachments in Outlook.

Thanks for any help,

Matt

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Matt,

• Sorry to hear about the trouble caused. Seems you have continued to experience this issue. As shared, you did try to uninstall and reinstall the application but it didn't work. I believe you have got the latest patch installed too? To confirm, Open Adobe Reader DC>Help>About Reader DC it should be version 20.006.20034
  • If not, then you may try installing the latest patch from this link: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html > Reboot Reader DC and let us know if that works. 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your reply Akancha, I did confirm the user was on the most recent version of 20.006.20034 but the problem did persist throughout yesterday. Strangely enough today the problem hasn't reoccured at all despite nothing else being done to resolve this, not even any Windows updates! I'm going to keep an eye on this for the next week to see if the problem reoccurs but it's starting to look like this was a transient issue.

Thanks,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Matt,

Thanks for checking that. Its good to hear it started running fine now. I agree with you, this could be transient issue due to the recent change. 

What matter most here is, this should reoccur. If it does, then do let us know.

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines