• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep Adobe Acrobat Reader as default PDF program

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many times I have gone to settings / system / default apps / choose default apps by file type, under Windows 10 to set Adobe Acrobat Reader as the default for PDF files.  This will work for a day or so and then gets automatically changed back to Microsoft Edge.  How can I keep it to Acrobat Reader?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kenneth,

Please try this hotfix: Reader/Acrobat is not the default PDF owner | Windows 10 Threshold 2

Thanks,

Abhishek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem I am having is not that I cannot change my default PDF viewer to Adobe Acrobat Reader, but it does not stay changed.  After changing it, the next day it has been changed back to Microsoft Edge.  I want to change my default PDF viewer to Acrobat and have it stay that way.

Adobe should be extremely concerned about this.  It is becoming increasingly difficult to use Adobe products.

Thank you,

Ken Williams

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kenneth,

The hotfix was released which I provided above is for the same reason as we are aware of the problem. Please try it and I am sure this will fix the issue.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every day or so the default reader for PDF files gets reset to Microsoft Edge.  I have set the default in different ways, but it keeps getting reset.  When I change the default, all the icons change and the Adobe Reader works by default for a while.  But the next day it is back to Microsoft Edge.

I would think Adobe would have launched an army of lawyers to attack this.  If it becomes very hard to use Adobe Reader, people will not.

Thanks,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about your problem Ken and thank you for raising this. We would need some details to reproduce it at our end.

- Version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. (Do you also have Adobe Acrobat installed? If yes, which version)

- OS build number (type winver on run prompt)

Also, please try updating Reader to latest via "Help -> Check for updates" and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for your help

Amish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2016 Jan 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues, I have two computers an HP laptop and an ASUS desktop w/12G Ram 2+T of disk space <25% in use. The laptop was upgraded from win 8.1 and the Desktop from Win 7. The symptoms occurred when I had Acrobat only and when Reader was added. Both of them are fully updated. I have used every way (except for registry hack) that is available in windows to make Acrobat default for PDF files. I even have even taken all defaults away from Edge and it keeps grabbing PDF files and only PDF files. I hate Edge, it is a piece of garbage but I cannot remove it because it (supposedly) is part of the OS. (my current build of win 10 is 1511build 10586.63)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version 2015.010.20056 and Windows 10 version 1511 (OS Build 10586.63).  This is the latest version of both programs.

I strongly suspect the problem has nothing to do with Adobe Acrobat and everything to do with Windows 10.  While this is not a Windows 10 group, I think Adobe should be very concerned about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for Ken an Wxguesser52.

We will reproduce it at our end and will update you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mohd, I have had the same problem ever since upgrading to Windows 10.  None of you suggestions on this page work.  All will change the default PDF reader for about a minute, then they invariably revert back to having Edge as the default.  And I agree with the others -- Adobe should be pissed and giving Microsoft holy hell.  We REALLY need to come up with a solution.

Tom Whedbee

BTW, I am using Adobe Reader DC v. 2015.010.20060  and Acrobat X Pro v. 10.1.16

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm inclined to agree with you Ken. But I don't think Microsoft cares, in fact I think they want to take PDF functionality away from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2016 Jan 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kenneth,

Sorry about your problem and thank you for raising this, Please share these details

- Please go to window's registries, 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AVGeneral\iTookOwnershipAfterUpgrade' , let me know if it is set to 1 or not present ? (To go to win registries , type regedit in run prompt)

If this registry present ? delete this and start repair for Reader from control panel. (Repair steps: Go to control panel->Programs->Programs and Features , select reader and click on change -> Repair).

Please let us know if it solved your problem?

- Do you also have Acrobat installed on your machine?

Regards,

Sourab Sharma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr Abhishek:

Yoiu are not listening to his problem.  It keeps changing back to Edge.  YOUR SOULTION DOES NOTHING TO FIX THE RECURRING PROBLEM. PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND WHAT HE IS SAYING.  I have the same problem.  It will change to Edge and I get multiple notifications that it has been changed.  It will keep on "churning" and telling me over and over that it has been changed to Edge.  You show how to fix it, but not how to keep it fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Thomas5FB7 

You are adding an entry to a thread that described issues as they were 3 to 4 years ago with versions of Windows 10 from that timeframe. With current versions of Windows, the method for changing the association of PDF files to Acrobat is as follows:

Go to Windows Settings and click on Apps:

2020-10-27_9-43-41.png

From there, click on Default Apps:

2020-10-27_9-46-57.png

From there, scroll down and click on Choose default apps by file type:

2020-10-27_9-48-52.png

Scroll down to the line that has .pdf and an application name. If the name is not correct (i.e., Adobe Acrobat DC or perhaps Adobe Acrobat Reader), click on the application name if that name doesn't match what you need (i.e., it says Edge or Chrome or whatever).

2020-10-27_9-52-58.png

You will then see a dialog box which show applications that claim support for .pdf files. Choose the correct application there and work your way back to out of the Settings. This should solve the problem.

Every so often you may find that when clicking on a PDF file, you get a dialog box that tries to encourage you to change your preference. Politely decline that invitation.

To be very, very clear, this problem is not caused by nor can it be fixed by Adobe. If you don't like this (none of us do), directly contact Microsoft executives and complain vociferously to them. Maybe that will change things for the better!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do your have similar instructions for Acrobat DC? That is my preferred reader/editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes WxGuesser , You can try this for Acrobat as well,but in case of Acrobat 'itookOwnershipAfterUpgrade' key will be under Acrobat Hive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know why, but Windows has stopped this stupid behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2016 May 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem and it is really starting to p**** me off!!!  

I have tried everything to make Adobe Reader the default for pdf's but it just keeps going back to Edge!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2016 May 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara -

when you tried the steps at:

Associate PDF files to always open in Acrobat or Reader on Windows 10 Threshold 2

did you remember to turn on the checkbox that says  "Always use this app to open .pdf files" ?

There are other (more) painful ways to change the defaults on Windows 10 TH2. If this didn't work, we'll have someone write out those instructions as well.

-abhigyan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abhigyan,

I have tried to capture the steps which is menioned by you in the above link.

and i found few registries are added and modified under "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExists","HKCU\...\Shell\MIMI Association"..

I exported the above registries and when import these registries into the new machine which is having Adobe Reader DC installed.

But it was not effected. The PDF files are still associated with the Edge.

Anyone help on this.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can give specific information as to when this is happening for me.  I receive multiple zip files each day that are packaged with several pdf's and some associated paperwork.  Each time when I extract a file Windows 10 will switch file associations for PDF's back to Microsoft Edge.  I have tried pretty much every solution I can find, but nothing will correct the issue.

I am using the following

Windows 10 Pro (creators upgrade)

Adobe Acrobat XI Pro

Winzip 15.5

The reset happens every single time I extract a zip file that contains a pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the issue is not Acrobat (Reader or Pro) or Windows 10 per se, though Microsoft is partly at fault for this issue.  Apparently, it's a third party program that's causing it.  I suspect in your case (it is in mine), you're using an older version of Winzip.  Because this older version of Winzip is not aware of Windows 10, it tries to make changes to file associations for zip files in an incorrect way in the registry. Because it does it incorrectly, it triggers ALL files associations (not only ZIP) to reset back to their default settings.  This is where Microsoft has a fault, while I agree if we choose to use old apps that are not Windows 10 compliant, we're at fault if it resets that specific extension (zip in this case), it should not reset ALL others.  Specially if those others are most updated versions.  Here's a link a link that explains it better and a possible work around (though not perfect, it does work):

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-resetting-file-associations/

Fabio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do a batch file and run it every time you need. .-)

There is a code to make: (first you have to put AcroRd32.exe between default programs)

•     IE Default browser for WIN10
  •     Adobe Reader default PDF viewer in win10

===AcroRd32_exe_Microsoft_DefaultPrograms.bat===

@echo off

cls

echo   --==**##  IE prizet brskalnik in Adobe Reader privzet za PDF datoteke ##**==--

REM Turn off Help Improve the Adobe Reader Experience nag screen *before* it first appears

Reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\CommonFiles\Usage\Reader 10" /v OptIn /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM AcroRd32 appear between default programs ##**==--

REM Copy Adobe icon...

if exist "c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\" copy /Y "bin\Adobe_PDF_file_icon_24x24.png" "c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\" 1> NUL

REM      http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/23509-how-add-my-own-program-list-default-programs.html

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\AcroRd32.exe\shell\open\command /ve /d "\"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe\" \"%%1\"" /f >nul

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AcroRd32.bmp\DefaultIcon /ve /d "\"c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\Adobe_PDF_file_icon_24x24.png" /f

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AcroRd32.pdf\shell\open\command /ve /d "\"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe\" \"%%1\"" /f >nul

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications /d "AcroRd32"="Software\AcroRd32\Capabilities" /f >nul

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AcroRd32\Capabilities /v "ApplicationDescription" /d "AcroRd32 je program za ogledovanje PDF datotek." /f >nul

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AcroRd32\Capabilities /v "ApplicationName" /d "AcroRd32" /f >nul

reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AcroRd32\Capabilities\FileAssociations /v ".pdf" /d "AcroRd32.pdf" /f >nul

REM Run GUI

cscript //NoLogo IEdefault_PDFdefault.vbs

timeout /t 1 /nobreak > NUL

echo Done

==========

===IEdefault_PDFdefault.vbs===

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' IE Default browser for WIN10

WshShell.Run "%windir%\system32\control.exe /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageDefaultProgram\pageAdvancedSettings?pszAppName=Internet%20Explorer"

' Give Default Programs time to load

WScript.Sleep 2000

' WshShell.AppActivate "Set Program Associations"

WshShell.SendKeys "{TAB}"

WshShell.SendKeys " "

WScript.Sleep 500

WshShell.SendKeys " "

' Adobe Reader default PDF viewer in win10 - but first you have to put AcroRd32.exe between default programs.'      You need to add some lines in registry before.... (see attached file WshShell.Run "%windir%\system32\control.exe /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms /page pageDefaultProgram\pageAdvancedSettings?pszAppName=AcroRd32"

WScript.Sleep 500

WshShell.SendKeys " "

WScript.Sleep 500

WshShell.SendKeys " "

Msgbox "Default browser is Internet Explorer."  & vbcrlf & "Default viewer for PDF files is AdobeReader."

WScript.Quit

=========

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2017 Apr 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do I create 2 files to do this? A .bat and a .vbs file?

What do you mean by "(first you have to put AcroRd32.exe between default programs)"??

I created both files, modified the \Reader 10.0\ to \Acrobat Reader DC\ and ran the AcroRd32_exe_Microsoft_DefaultPrograms.bat file from an admin command prompt. I received the error,

the operation completed successfully

the operation completed successfully

Input Error: Can not find script file "C:\windows\system32\IEdefault_PDFdefault.vbs"..

Done

What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines