Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Long path support in Acrobat Reader DC

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Acrobar Reader DC is still not capable to open files with paths longer than 255 chars. This is a serious problem, and it's not a problem of the OS (Windows 10/2016 support long paths). The problem in details have been described in these topics:

"Long path" capable?

Why Adobe Acrobat cannot open files with filename longer then 255 character?

Is there any plans to solve this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if anyone has reported it yet. I suggest you do, and please post back the URL here. That allows others affected by the problem to add more votes, so it might get fixed if the problem is popular enough.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test Screen Name, thanks for your suggestion. I submitted bug report, but after submit there was no link. So I can't post link here and I don't know how to find my bug report again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Avn,

I will gather more information around this and will share an update. You may refer to the article for more information about the Naming files, paths and Namespaces support in Windows Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces - Windows applications | Microsoft Docs

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Microsoft article:

These are the directory management functions that no longer have MAX_PATH restrictions if you opt-in to long path behavior: CreateDirectoryW, CreateDirectoryExW GetCurrentDirectoryW RemoveDirectoryW SetCurrentDirectoryW.

These are the file management functions that no longer have MAX_PATH restrictions if you opt-in to long path behavior: CopyFileW, CopyFile2, CopyFileExW, CreateFileW, CreateFile2, CreateHardLinkW, CreateSymbolicLinkW, DeleteFileW, FindFirstFileW, FindFirstFileExW, FindNextFileW, GetFileAttributesW, GetFileAttributesExW, SetFileAttributesW, GetFullPathNameW, GetLongPathNameW, MoveFileW, MoveFileExW, MoveFileWithProgressW, ReplaceFileW, SearchPathW, FindFirstFileNameW, FindNextFileNameW, FindFirstStreamW, FindNextStreamW, GetCompressedFileSizeW, GetFinalPathNameByHandleW.

So, as I understand, Acrobat Reader DC should use modern directory and file management functions in order to overcome MAX_PATH restrictions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The application manifest must also include the longPathAware element.

It is the quote from the Microsoft article. But Acrobate's manifest does not include such element.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a UseVoice request for this. It's insane that it's 2019, Windows no longer enforces a path limitation, and yet Adobe has yet to improve.

Please vote on this request, hopefully it'll get fixed: Add proper LongPath support – Share your feedback on Acrobat DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in 2019, the unability of Adobe reader DC to read long filenames is a no-go. Using structured directory and informative file names is, to me, an absolute need in a professional environement. So I'm highly surprised a company such as Adobe cannot solve this... waiting for an upgrade, I'll have to move to others (Foxit ?..)

With regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue with the file names being too long and pdfs not opening.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for this - can't access a whole load of files that are on my network because file path exceeds 255 characters.  Other file types open fine in other programs, this is just an adobe problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just finding out about this flaw, it's 2022 and an expensive program like Acrobat can't read into Word subfiles.

WORK AROUND: create a JUNK FOLDER in WORD, copy the file into JUNK FOLDER.

Edit/View in ADOBE then save back into your original folder when you're done... 

Sorry, as I read it back I realized I shouldn't have to do this while paying $20 USD per month. 

Any suggestions for other programs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Просто нужно выбирать файл через меню Адоба, а не через проводник!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines