• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Didnt set password, still my PDF file is asking for a password to open

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several PDF files that I used to be able to open, but now, they are asking for a password. I did not create a password for any of these files. Has anyone encountered this problem before? If so, how do I resolve it? Thank you.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

I've seen this recently and it was fixed in Reader using a patch. Make sure you have the very latest update.

In Reader use Help>Check for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 121 Replies 121
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The password for that is your license or ID number. The email texas dps sends you tells you that when they send the pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstall acrobat pro and keep only acrobat reader from add and remove program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought an iPad Pro and the same issue started.  The problem is not with Adobe it is with Macintosh/Apple. On my iPad Pro I could not open a generic, blank fillable form from my company, it was asking for a password; I then tried my Surface RT (Microsoft), and it opened the PDF with no problems, I filled it out with absolutely no issues and email it back to them.  My advice is, do not buy any Macintosh products if you are mostly doing office type activities; I do recommend Macintosh for any graphic projects.  I will never buy another Macintosh product!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that certainly is a childish reaction.  You don't understand how something works, so you will never use it again.

Pity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems to work 100% when you do find something that works and stop banging your head around the programs that overcharge and underdeliver. have you yourself tried to combine files and not have this error? ugh, and oy vey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Microsoft and am experiencing the issue, so it's not limited to Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac actually makes removal of passwords easy, just open in Preview, Export as PDF, then you get a none passworded PDF that you can open, copy, hightlight etc, simple 30s work around, magic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hy, 
please slove me my issue. if you can do this. 
My issue is PDF is disabled after some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the notion. And also have this exact same problem. This never was a problem in years past... #adobegetyourshittogetherpleaseandthankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg it's two years later and we still having issues.Ill say no more and idk !!.But,yes password again.Ill not bother seems like a nightmare but at least I would not waste time on trying unless ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here.. !!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I had this same problem. I opened the PDF file in a browser, went to print, and where it says Printer, selected Save as PDF. Now the file is not password protected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't do that. Just save the file directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, due to policies applied by the ICT dept:

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown)

it is caused by the "protected view" settings in preferences ... Security (enhanced)

So if you enable protected view , certificate encrypted pdf's do not work any longer..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had same issue .. cant remember i put password on pdf file!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out that the program I was using was an educational version of software, and to prevent reverse engineering of exported documents, the program, Vectorworks, added a password to prevent the file from being modified.   Using the full commercial version of the program I have at work, the password protection did not appear on the exported document, although I did have the option of protecting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...do we find a solution about this problem?...because one of my users got the samething...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

I had the same problem,

what I did was; 'open the pdf' and then 'export as pdf' again now, I dont know why but now the program doesn't ask for a password anymore. maybe this helps. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

He doesn't give me the possibility to "export as pdf"...I'm thinking to change for Foxit, she can do nothing with Acrobat because of this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I work on mac and i opend the pdf in 'Preview' from mac, there i had the option to export to pdf again.  (this worked for me)

don't know anyting about windows, so can't help u 😞 if u work with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  It continues to happen...it's annoying.  When I need to edit the pdf file, I have to start over creating a new one.  My coworkers are experiencing the same issue.  Hopefully Adobe can fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an ongoing problem. I have tons of old reports for work that we cannot combine or edit. This just started recently for us as we updated to the newest version of Adobe Acrobat Pro. The software we use to generate quality reports are all locked by a password. Old and new. The developer of the software has no idea how this is happening. This is definately an Adobe issue with no fix in sight. We've been reduced to printing out the reports and then scanning them back in to make a fresh digital file. It's ridiculous and wasteful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding another voice to the list of frustrated users. This issue was opened over 3 years ago and still no resolution.

PDFs that I've been able to edit and have never put a password on are suddenly requiring passwords. I can't merge files because they are password protected with these "ghost" passwords. Downloaded clean copies of forms and am still getting the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is good (or is it?) to know that I am not alone in this situation. However, given this is an ongoing problem for close to two years, this is not good. Have there been any updates as to this issue? A suitable work around would be appreciated while this is being "fixed."

Given that my annual subscription is about to be re-newed, I might reconsider given this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines