• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening PDF links from MS Edge using Adobe Reader DC

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read a lot of activity about MS Edge "hijacking" the setting as to which app opens PDF files.  I do NOT have that problem.  Adobe Reader DC is set as my default app to open PDF files, and that works well.

However, there are times when I am on a website that has a links to either VIEW the document or SAVE the document.  If I view the document, it opens in MS Edge and is next to impossible to read because it is so small.  If I save the document, I then can click OPEN, and it opens in Adobe, but now I have to find the file it downloaded onto my computer and erase it (a pain).

Is there any way to set this up so when I click VIEW, it opens directly into Adobe?  I did not have this problem using MS IE or Firefox.  I saw a suggestion about some kind of setting in Adobe to prevent a document from opening in a web browser, but I could not find it in my version of Adobe Reader DC.

Please help.  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Thanks for responding.  So, I didn't get a chance to do anything with this while I was gone for the holidays, but I took a look at this again.  I was using Edge to view this originally when it came up super small, and was using Firefox when it was sized properly.  However...

I think I have figured out my problem.  Apparently, Firefox is set by default to automatically resize documents.  So originally the document was small in a small window, but when I resized the window, the document got bigger

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is being viewed in Reader itself, it has to be downloaded first. Which means you would have to find it and delete it afterwards.

When using the Adobe Reader plug-in in a browser, it still saves it to your hard drive somewhere so you can view it. In theory, once you are done viewing it, it then deletes that file on it's own from the temporary location where it is stored.

familyman813 wrote:

However, there are times when I am on a website that has a links to either VIEW the document or SAVE the document. If I view the document, it opens in MS Edge

What browser are you using when you choose to view the document? Is it Edge? If so, maybe try something that uses the Reader plug-in like the 32bit version of Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding.  So, I didn't get a chance to do anything with this while I was gone for the holidays, but I took a look at this again.  I was using Edge to view this originally when it came up super small, and was using Firefox when it was sized properly.  However...

I think I have figured out my problem.  Apparently, Firefox is set by default to automatically resize documents.  So originally the document was small in a small window, but when I resized the window, the document got bigger as well.  I just installed Chrome and when I did the same thing, the document stayed small, but I noticed a + and - sign.  Obviously, when I clicked the + sign, the image got bigger.  So then I went back to Edge to look for that.  By playing around a bit, I realized that if I left-clicked after resizing the window, an option appeared with the +/- signs... presto!  And I even found the button to automatically resize.  So everything looks good in Edge now!

Now, if only I get could Edge to ​automatically​ resize the document when I resize the window!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you got it working good enough for now.

In the future, keep in mind that if you are having problems with viewing a pdf in Edge or Chrome, you will need to take that up in an Edge or Chrome forum. Neither use the Adobe Reader plug-in and use their own pdf viewers instead.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have found you can open PDFs from a MS Edge web link by:

* Open MS Edge

* Top right corner, Click on 3 dots

* Scroll down, click on Settings

* LH column under "Search Settings" type in "PDF"

* Scroll down RH column to where "PDF" is yellow highlighted

* Select "PDF Documents"

* In RH column slide dot to the right

That should do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michael. I remembered doing it for Chrome, but had forgotten how. This works perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just want to say THANK YOU after visiting forum after forum and finally getting the correct answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is OK for opening a copy of a pdf in Acrobat, but no good for marking up a Sharepoint document and saving it back to the Sharepoint site - PDF markup in Sharepoint is completely broken for me, now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, thank you so much for your clear and concise solution. I couldn't figure this out on why Edge was still opening pdf's when I clicked on browser links. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've looked all over the net for the solution to this problem and this was the only suggestion that worked....and very clearly instructed.  Thanks for taking the time to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines