Highlighted

Password suddenly not working

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a PDF through iScanner, and through that program, set a four-digit PIN (I know, I know, not secure enough, but that's the program's idea, not mine). I then imported it to my computer and read it through Reader.

Opening it with aforementioned four-digit PIN worked dozens upon dozens of times, but this morning, it didn't work.

I tried every reader imaginable other than Acrobat Reader, and it still wasn't working. I can't fathom why it would suddenly not work, but it has.

No, this is not a case of me forgetting the password. I'm not that inventive; the password PIN for these sorts of documents is on a Post-It on the side of my computer. I've used two different four-digit PINs for all the iScanner documents I've imported, and I tried them both (even though I was certain I'd used one over the other, frustration got the better of me and I tried the other).

What gives? How do I resolve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Password suddenly not working

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a PDF through iScanner, and through that program, set a four-digit PIN (I know, I know, not secure enough, but that's the program's idea, not mine). I then imported it to my computer and read it through Reader.

Opening it with aforementioned four-digit PIN worked dozens upon dozens of times, but this morning, it didn't work.

I tried every reader imaginable other than Acrobat Reader, and it still wasn't working. I can't fathom why it would suddenly not work, but it has.

No, this is not a case of me forgetting the password. I'm not that inventive; the password PIN for these sorts of documents is on a Post-It on the side of my computer. I've used two different four-digit PINs for all the iScanner documents I've imported, and I tried them both (even though I was certain I'd used one over the other, frustration got the better of me and I tried the other).

What gives? How do I resolve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of the password prompt?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: do OLD files (made before the problem) still open with the old PIN, as expected? Or are they rejected too?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're getting the same result is all PDF viewers the problem is with the security policy itself, most likely.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how would I remedy that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems likely that your scanning software is no longer working right. Your tests, showing old files are ok, pretty much prove it. Contact the maker.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old files are not okay. Old files with passwords ALSO do not work. The scanning software is no longer involved; it created the PDF. The PDF opened with the password numerous times since creation. I am not trying to open the file through the scanning software, but with Reader, which, as I said, has opened the file without issue numerous times.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if your old files no longer work in any app (not just Reader), then something may have corrupted them. You really are focussing in the wrong place, if it isn't just Reader. It's the files, if you are absolutely certain these old files worked once.

Did you try setting a new password in the scanning app and making a new scan with the new password? Result?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New files work fine. I'm trying to fix the problem so it doesn't happen again, and see if I can get into my files that I already have. I'm seeing that there isn't an answer. I'm seeing that there's a vein of 'logic' here that goes something like this:

If old files were ok, then it's not Adobe's fault.

If old files aren't ok, then it's still not Adobe's fault.

This is about the same line of reasoning I got when I chatted and called customer support with Adobe. No one wanted to take responsibility, no matter what the facts were. When they assumed one thing, it wasn't their program's fault. When it turned out their assumption was wrong, it still wasn't their program's fault. There was no scenario in which it was the program's fault. If it was the program's fault, they might have to actually propose a solution, and they couldn't be bothered.

There's a reason there are review websites (and Adobe forums!) chock full of complaints about Adobe customer service. They shove you into the forums for answers, and if they aren't there, then they just don't know, because it couldn't possibly be their program's fault.

Adobe has great products, 90% of the time. God help you if you have a product with a problem, though. Just give it up for lost. Pretend they don't have technical support. They might as well not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've clearly shown yourself that it's not Adobe's fault by testing with non-Adobe software. Right? I could imagine a bug (and there have been bugs like this) where the password checking stuff breaks and old files don't open. But Adobe can't break this other software you tested too. 

Nothing is absolutely impossible, but since Acrobat Reader has nothing in it to set passwords deliberately, it isn't very likely to do it by accident either.

This is why we've been asking you detailed questions, which you haven't been especially fast in answering. I'm very happy to point the finger at a bug in Adobe software, if that's what it is. But there's no point doing this when it isn't right, especially as Adobe are indeed slow and uncommunicative about fixing the bugs they actually do have.

I don't know why you called customer support. There is no customer support for free software, and they should have told you so. Ditto technical support. You get what you pay for.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been very fast in answering them. I posted a screenshot when I was asked for a screenshot, I answered questions when asked them within the day (since deleted, as they had my name on them, and I don't think that's necessary for a public forum), and I sat on Adobe's customer service lines and chats for hours.

I paid for other Adobe products. I expected some form of customer support for the Adobe suite in general. There was none.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yes, definitely, if they weren't going to provide support for a free product, that's fine. Be honest about that up front. Don't tell me "Gee, mister, we can't wait to solve your problem, just settle in for multiple hours and we'll get right to the solution!" I'm irritated because they claimed they could help me, and they very clearly couldn't, then I got shoved to the forums after they dodged responsibility for the Adobe file having an issue, and there's no solution here, either.

I'd rather they just be up front with me and say "There's no customer support for Reader or any other product. Don't even get us started on how we screw people professionally on billing. Tough luck, kid."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You never replied to my first message, though I thought you had, and it sent me in the wrong direction.

Yes, tough luck on the free software. I'd have thought you might find some cheer in the idea it wasn't Reader, since getting Adobe to fix their software is about the hardest job out there. If it's something else we have a chance. Did you try restoring one of your files from an old backup?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't exactly find cheer in everyone ducking responsibility. The scanning software company dodged responsibility, Adobe dodged responsibility, so I'm stuck with a problem and no solution. The file was so important I copied it multiple times in multiple places, but all my password protected files are saying my password is wrong. And it's not. And it's just so frustrating.

It's obviously not your fault; I'm sorry for venting at you. You're trying to help. I was still fuming over Adobe's "customer service."

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC