Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF Document cannot be edited after saving

Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to download a PDF document, and fill in the form. However, when I save the document, close it, and open it again, I cannot edit anything anymore. I also cannot digitally sign any of the signature fields. When I open the document after saving and closing, I get a message that reads,

"This document enabled extended features in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available."

I have another fillable PDF document that works just fine after saving and closing and does not produce the error message, and can be edited after opening again.

Can anyone help me out?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nicholasn52814609,

How did you edit the form at the very first place? is it was edited in the same application Adobe Reader?

Also, have you added any signature when you have save the document at first place?

because signing the document is the last steps, once you do that you can not edit it anymore.

Is it possible that you can send the document to us via private message? we would like to test the same at our end.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had downloaded the document from the first result in this Google search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=4651r&oq=4651r&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.2984j0j4&client=ms-android-goog...

I opened the document in Adobe and not in another tab in Google chrome. From there the lines were fillable and I could edit it. Even without a digital signature, the document cannot be edited once it has been saved, closed and opened again. how would I be able to send you the document via private message? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have just shared an email address with you via private message.

please attach your file and send it to us, mentioning your forums thread in the subject line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

was this solved? This has been happening to me for months and I keeo

hsving to type up the WHOLE 200 PAGE pdf again every time 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue.

When I open a new form to fill for the first time, I can edit away. The form has pre determined field/entry places and the cursor moves automatically to the correct place.

When I save and close, then re open, it no longer operates the same way. I select Edit PDF but it is not editable as it was originally. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to know how to solve this problem, since i have it myself, and i dont find any solution to it on the internet. 

thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

REALLY NEED HELP PLEASE?

I have created a fillable PDF form in Acrobat Pro X. Once I email to someone and they fill it out and save it (no signature required) they nor we can edit any of the input areas. Can you HELP with HOW I can make the editable PDF form unlocked please? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am having this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please will you let us know how this was solved - there are so many of us who have this issue. 

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem; when I filled out the form (in firefox or edge), then saved the PDF, then opened in Adobe, the form was no longer fillable.  I noticed if I right click on the PDF in the folder, and open in Edge it is fillable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a rather unfortunate bug for Adobe Reader. The software should warn you that you're about to make the doucment uneditable before you save.

For those of you who would like to be able to edit and sign your edited document, I had great results with using [Link removed by moderator]  . It imported my document that I was locked out of and allowed me to edit all of the fields, including the content I had filled out in Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you just post the name of the software that worked for you? Maybe they won't remove it if it doesn't contain a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have opened and edited the contents of various form fields in an Adobe pdf at least 20 times.  All of a sudden it has limited permissions and I can no longer edit it.  NOw reading here I find this is a long-time bug that Adobe seems to have done nothing about.

Has anyone got an answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dunno if this is the same issue that I had - my pdf only had less than 200 editable fields - but here is what I did to fix mine:

1. Tools > Prepare Form
  2. Select All fields
  3. Right click > Properties
  4. General > uncheck "Locked" in bottom left
  5. Uncheck "Read Only" in Common Properties

I hope this helps someone. Apologies if it isn't the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this helped me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this did not work for me.

Does Adobe have a solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lynnj,

Please elaborate on the issue you are experiencng.

Is it an issue with a particular PDF? If yes, would you mind sharing the PDF?

Share the complete workflow you do that does not work.

Share the Acrobat and OS versions.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - Prepare Form is a paid for feature... An adobe form from the government is editable until I save, and then I can't edit any more. How do we edit without re-downloading and starting over??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me - thanks 😉 I wonder how it got "locked"? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines