• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF File - Forcing all users to open in reader (instead of browser)?

Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a website where I have a form uploaded. But some people open the PDF in the browser where they mistakenly believe that their data has been saved when they close the window. 

Can I tell the PDF, that it should always open up in reader, so I avoid this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Thanks for reaching out. As described above, you want to always open the PDF with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, correct?

You can make the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as the default PDF viewer so that all the PDF files will open with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Please refer to the help article  - https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/not-default-pdf-owner-windows10.html

Let us know if that works for you.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal. It is not my computer. that is the issue. Is is on my customers computers. I have a website where I have a form uploaded. But some people open the PDF in the browser where they mistakenly believe that their data has been saved when they close the window. Can I tell the PDF, that it should always open up in reader, so I avoid this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Please ask the users to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (freeware) to the computer - https://get.adobe.com/reader/ and make it the default PDF viewer to avoid this situation.

Regards,

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, it's the user's choice. If it is a choice at all, not all browsers offer a choice, and on some platforms (e.g. iPad, iPhone) it is impossible.

Better to redesign the form to try to alter people's perception of the form and its behaviour. HTML forms might be better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines