• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pdf file name limititation

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is there any workaround for the filename length limit (I believe it's 100 characters?) when creating a new .pdf document?

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

It's my understanding that the filename length limit is 260 characters for windows and is determined by the OS and not Reader or any other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's my understanding that the filename length limit is 260 characters for windows and is determined by the OS and not Reader or any other application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for response graffiti

my problem seems to occur when trying to move or copy a pdf file between different folders (I'm on VISTA Home Prem OS, I know, I know...) The length of filename is 97 characters long, including spaces and .pdf. I was able to copy and paste the full file name into my Documents folder, but when tried to do same into a sub-folder, only a max of 58 characters would paste?

I'm obviously not that versed here, but doesn't make sense.

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to ask in a forum for Vista since this really doesn't seem to involve Adobe Reader. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 and Server 2016 allow for extended path names (gpedit, local computer policy, computer configuration, administrative templates, system, filesystem, enable win32 long paths), but the app must support it (manifested win32 apps).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this issue.  I'm using Windows 10 and the naming convention limitation after installing Adobe Acrobat Reader is 55 characters.  My .pdf file naming convention includes long descriptions that exceed this limitation (why - assists with limiting search results when searching in windows explorer).  Windows allowed me to name the files with the names that exceed 55 characters, however, when I try opening in AR I get a message that access is denied.  When I shortened the file name, the file opens fine.   I like to program but this is an issue that will cause me to revert back to opening the file in Edge or Chrome instead.  I hope someone from Adobe will chime in on this issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 and Server 2016 allow for extended path names (gpedit, local computer policy, computer configuration, administrative templates, system, filesystem, enable win32 long paths), but the app must support it (manifested win32 apps).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chademclean, we've discovered the exact same flaw in Adobe Reader.  Shorten the file name and the file will open in Reader as expected.  Lengthen the file name and Reader throws and access denied message.

There is no problem using an alternative to Reader (like Foxit Reader) but we want to stay with adobe since we pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Adobe Acrobat and Reader official update (21.001.20135) containing the fix for this issue is now available.

This update will be automatically pushed to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader. You may also manually trigger the update early by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.
More information about this release is here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html
Please try it out and let us know your feedback!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update log doesn't specifically call out that it fixes opening files with a long path.  A test on our systems shows an error telling us that the file is too long.  If this is the 'fix' then someone needs to evaluate the requirement.  Files with long paths still cannot be opened.  21.005.20060 is the version we tried and still were unable to open a long path file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug fixed was that it said Access Denied. Now it correctly says the file name is too long as your screen shot shows. Shorten it - remembering that all the names of all the parent directories are part of the limit not just the blah blah.pdf part. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is that the program will not open a properly stored file on the host OS.  After some extra digging on our part, this problem has 2 parts.  The first part is you may need the latest version of the application and second you'll need to enable long file access in windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[P.I Removed by Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines