Highlighted

pdf file name limititation

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is there any workaround for the filename length limit (I believe it's 100 characters?) when creating a new .pdf document?

thanks

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by _graffiti | Most Valuable Participant

It's my understanding that the filename length limit is 260 characters for windows and is determined by the OS and not Reader or any other application.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

pdf file name limititation

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is there any workaround for the filename length limit (I believe it's 100 characters?) when creating a new .pdf document?

thanks

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by _graffiti | Most Valuable Participant

It's my understanding that the filename length limit is 260 characters for windows and is determined by the OS and not Reader or any other application.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for response graffiti

my problem seems to occur when trying to move or copy a pdf file between different folders (I'm on VISTA Home Prem OS, I know, I know...) The length of filename is 97 characters long, including spaces and .pdf. I was able to copy and paste the full file name into my Documents folder, but when tried to do same into a sub-folder, only a max of 58 characters would paste?

I'm obviously not that versed here, but doesn't make sense.

Any thoughts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to ask in a forum for Vista since this really doesn't seem to involve Adobe Reader. Good luck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 and Server 2016 allow for extended path names (gpedit, local computer policy, computer configuration, administrative templates, system, filesystem, enable win32 long paths), but the app must support it (manifested win32 apps).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this issue.  I'm using Windows 10 and the naming convention limitation after installing Adobe Acrobat Reader is 55 characters.  My .pdf file naming convention includes long descriptions that exceed this limitation (why - assists with limiting search results when searching in windows explorer).  Windows allowed me to name the files with the names that exceed 55 characters, however, when I try opening in AR I get a message that access is denied.  When I shortened the file name, the file opens fine.   I like to program but this is an issue that will cause me to revert back to opening the file in Edge or Chrome instead.  I hope someone from Adobe will chime in on this issue....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 and Server 2016 allow for extended path names (gpedit, local computer policy, computer configuration, administrative templates, system, filesystem, enable win32 long paths), but the app must support it (manifested win32 apps).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC