Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playing embedded videos after May update

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with the playback of mp4-videos embedded in pdfs. Before the May update, videos were played by a co-embedded flash video player in the pdf. As you know flash support is going to fade out in December, so Adobe had to change their embedding magic...

The setup is as follows:

I want to use videos in a pdf for a publication. On my Mac I used Acrobat DC pro to embed a video in the pdf and it worked nicely (in Acrobat pro and the free Reader).

Now I move the pdf to my Windows 10 machine (Acrobat Reader, 2020.009.20067), to see if it still works. When I click the play button on the video I get the following error message:

"Acrobat encountered an error while playing this media clip:" (Thats all.)

Opening the file from the explorer works perfectly: you click it, the Windows Media Player pops up, it plays.

I send out the pdf to my coauthors. For some of them it worked (also with the free reader, on Win10 and MacOS). For some of them it did not work with the free reader and one person also reported that the playback crashed his Acrobat DC pro.

I attached a minimal non-working example for you. I created an empty page in Illustrator and then placed a small video with Acrobat DC pro.

Any suggestions to track that problem down are very welcome.

Thanks in advance

-johannes

TOPICS
Mac , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been two emergency fix updates to Reader since the May update and the first of those did fix some multimedia issues. If your copy of Reader has not been updated since the May update, please do the updates and see if the problem still exists.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov,

as I wrote, I tried it with version 2020.009.20067. As far as I know, that is the current version.

Best

-Johannes

PS: Did this pdf work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just tried it again with the latest version 20.009.20074 (6th July). Still not working on Win10.

Best

-johannes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same request here: customers are asking for pdfs with video embedded without using flash. Any chance to get this working?

Best Udo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines