• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent automatic installation of Reader DC

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader DC keeps re-installing itself and assigning itself as the default pdf handler.  I have uninstalled it several times but it keeps coming back without my permission.  I have the full version of Acrobat and do not need or want Reader DC.  How can I stop this intrusive behavior?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Well, it doesn't happen by itself...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your computer a part of network (like in an office)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is, but I have verified with my IT department that this is not an installation that they are pushing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Since I have seen other postings/complaints from users with the same issue on non-networked computers, however, this is an Adobe issue that needs to be addressed. It is unacceptable for software that I do not want to get automatically installed without asking permission.

It's annoying enough when an installer bundles other unrelated software (e.g. Google Toolbar, etc.) that get's installed by default unless the user un-checks a box. but having completely no control of it is something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does.

In my case the "Adobe ARM" automatic update service was left behind after uninstalling Reader.  Then on boot it was downloading and installing the latest version without prompting.  Disabled and deleted the service.

What planet are Adobe on?  Not only is Reader appalling bloatware, Adobe are using underhand methods to ensure it remains on your machine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm late to the game, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting this and confirming that I'm not going crazy!  I have an old copy on disk of Adobe Acrobat Professional 8, it works and I don't need anything else.  Well, after trying a trial of the latest version of Pro, I reinstalled my 8 version.  After a reboot, I ended up with DC, so all of the tools I used in Pro were gone including my version of Pro.  I thought I was going crazy. So, thank you for your post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Windows 10 Pro home-based workstation that is not part of any corporate network. I also have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (fully licensed) installed, but I too have been finding repeated automated installs of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, in spite of uninstalling the Reader application more than once.

Using my Windows application log, I found at least one instance where the Reader DC app was automatically installed (without any intervention from me.) The log entry referred to the following location on my PC:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Setup

Look for a subfolder containing the installer file AcroRead.msi. I moved tthe subfolder (including all contents) into my Recycle Bin. (You may wish to backup these files if desired.) I then opened Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, which appeared to function normally.

So far, this appears to have resolved my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hate for adobe grows. I love Photoshop 6 and Acrobat X. They are all I need. But I made a mistake and bought into the Photoshop CC. I think CC is an acronym for creative commerce. In my installation of Photoshop CC I "try" acrobat dc. I uninstalled it. And more than once in the last year trying to stop it from telling me I had an update. Just now I got another update notification for acrobat dc (not installed). In the CC desktop I saw the update and poked the three little dots. There was an option to uninstall acrobat dc it. This was titled Acrobat DC NOT Acrobat X. Adobe CC Desktop uninstalled my Acrobat X. I belive the only way to get rid of adbe maleware is to reinstall Windows 10 and NEVER even go to the adobe web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines