• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing a pdf opens "save as" instead.

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had this happen, but whenever I attempt to print a pdf, it opens a "save as" box instead.  So I've saved the pdf to my desktop, but after it's opened again I select print and the same "save as" box pops up again.  The ONLY way I've been able to print is by right-clicking the pdf file from my desktop.  Only then does it actually print.

I'm using Adobe X Reader (version 10.1.7).  Why doesn't it allow me to print a pdf when the app is open?

TOPICS
Print , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

In the print dialog disable the entry "Print to File".

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue, have had for months, had new printer in meantime, this has not helped. Don't mind printing from the file, except that it doesn't give you the option for b+w printing to save on coloured ink, which is a pain for things like boarding passes, which are usually very colourful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the print dialog disable the entry "Print to File".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're amazing, thank you, all fixed, who would have thought it was so easy, I'm sure this i something I enabled myself without meaning to, and without knowing that option exists it's almost impossible to fix, so simple, but such an enormous help, thank you for taking the time to read the posts and reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2013 Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much!  I simply couldn't figure it out, even when scanning my print options.  I also may have inadvertently selected "print to file" at some point?  It's such a simple fix that I almost feel silly that I missed it.

Thanks to you and back up and running again! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to sound stupid but where do I find the print dialogue? Thank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File->Print or command-p (mac) or control p (windows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This realy doen't answer the question. I'm running Windows 8.1 and it doesn't matter what PRINT botton I try to use to print my PDF with. When ever the PDF document is open on my screen and I press either the printer icon in the tool bar or go to FILE and click on the print botton there the print window comes up with my selected printer in the Printer select window. When I press Print the progess bar briefly comes up and disappears and then a SAVE AS window pops up to save the PDF in a file. It does this on my home printer and a different printer at work as well. I'm using Adobe Reader DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Control + p -> Advanced

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you your answer solved my issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem on my Macbook. Where is the equivalent of the Print Dialogue Box?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see no option to print to file.  I can change it to save as pdf, but when I select PRINT, it opens the SAVE AS Dialogue.  I have not had this issue accept with Adobe Acrobat, it prints fine from every other program, but this is a serious issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

some people dont have the option for print to file.

I found my own way, I hope it works for you guys.

step 1: go to print page  [File->Print or command-p (mac) or control p (windows)]

step 2: hover over to destination and choose your printer name.

If you do not see your printer name, then click see more options. then choose your printer name

step 3: Print

My pdf files open up on google chrome on windows 10. so this might or might not work for you. but it did for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NICE ONE, SOMETIME I JUST OVERLOOK CHEKING THE OBVIOUS....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU Bernd Alheit!  I got a new printer and everything was so easy up until the point when it sent me to "Save as" . . .  One hour of surfing the internet and looking at different forums and I still couldn't fix my problem.  Then I found your thread and your easy fix worked.  OMG finally peace for me. Thanks again SO MUCH.  🙂  Kathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of those suggestions work.

There is no, Print to File option.

What else can I do??

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go File-Print and hit "Advanced" option - I found Print to File Box there and was able to uncheck it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  This works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope - this did not fix the problem at all 😞   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was happening to me when I did Save As from Chrome.

From Chrome go to Settings under the Hamburger menu
Advanced
Site Settings
Additional Content Settings
PDF Documents
Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome - Turn ON

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one question for you. What is the hamburger menu?

Just curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Websites use three lines as a menu, quite often on mobile devices. Chrome uses 3 dots in the top right corner next to your profile picture. Both are commonly referred to as a hamburger menu. I've pasted in a small pic below, not sure if it will be posted in the reply.

[cid:57846637-f770-4673-954b-55437094ef1b]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not in the browser, I'm in the Adobe Program.  The printer is selected and there is no option to print to file or save as a pdf, only opens up when hitting the print button, then it asks where I want to save it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tto the right of the printer name, you should see "prroperties" to the right of that, you should (hopefully) see "advanced" the very last line in the advanced screen says "Print to file" (at least on mine it does)

It took me FOREVER to find this!! I can't beleive it's even an option, after all, if I wanted to print to file, i'd just save the damn thing, or use the print to pdf option under printer... what a waste of an hour 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue and my print to file is not checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines