• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing Problem with Latest Release (2019.008.20071)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a significant problem with the latest release of Acrobat DC, can anyone please help?

We publish booklets which are produced in MS Publisher and saved there as pdfs. People then buy the pdfs and print them at home. Yesterday we found that the latest release of Acrobat DC prints the booklets wrongly, and not consistently. Here are the problems:

We create a map in Photoshop Elements 14 with multiple layers, then save it as a gif, then import it into MS Publisher (Office 365). We put a border on it in Publisher. Then we save it as a pdf. When viewed in Acrobat DC it views as it should, but when we print it it comes out which large white bars as follows:

Faulty Printout 1.jpg

This happens all of the time with the same map, but some maps do print OK (but not many!). When we print in the previous version of Acrobat DC it always prints as we see it on the screen. If we print from Acrobat Pro X it prints just fine too. We have used 4 different Windows 10 PCs and 4 different printers, both HP and Canon. Always the same results.

We also insert a jpeg into Publisher and add a style (looks like a picture frame). It has text around it. When we print from Acrobat DC it loses its formatting. Here is a picture of when it prints correctly, and when it doesn't:

Faulty Printout 2.jpg

In terms of what does work: inserting a gif from Photoshop with no layers or anything else added - this works fine.

We have tried lots of things to overcome or get round the problems, but not found anything yet. Any help is welcome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Hi

Adobe Acrobat and Reader official update (19.008.20074) containing the fix for this issue is now available. This update will be automatically pushed to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader. If you want, you may also manually trigger the update early by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.

More information about this release is here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html

Please try it out and let us know your feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi robertb80722299​

Your issue seems similar to @Printing Issues

Can you share a sample PDF file with us? I have sent a private message to you with my email ID.

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the file. We are able to reproduce the issue.

We will keep you posted with the update.

Thanks

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also have a printing issue with the last version.

The image is not correctly printed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanvi,

Has Adobe discovered a way to fix this issue yet? We are having the same problems since the update. We are unable to print any booklets, pamphlets or brochures without images gaps appearing.

Is there a bug fix for this update? This is becoming quite a problem for our business.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our company is experiencing the same problem but we've discovered a work around for now. Right click the PDF, open with Chrome (Haven't tested in Internet Explorer) and print through the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but we already tried that. It doesn't work with documents which need to be printed double-sided, flip on short edge (landscape) - which is what we need.

I appreciate the response though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately, I found this fix and it does fit my problem.  As a customer of an insurance company, I downloaded three PDF files from their web site (two address change confirmation letters and a policy loan letter), which obviously means I had no control over their creation.  All three were one page documents.  The two address change confirmations pulled up perfectly and printed perfectly, but the loan letter, while pulling up on the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (latest updates, Windows 10), printed nothing but the company logo, in gray, at the upper right corner, leaving the rest of the page blank.  Customer service at the insurance company had no clue, but their agent sent the same file as an attachment to an email, with a different name.  When I read the email and pulled up the attachment on my iPhone, the display was good, and since I have a direct wifi print app that works with my printer, I printed it perfectly.  But here it gets weird!

When I downloaded the email and attachment on my Windows laptop, and opened the attachment, it only DISPLAYED the logo on the screen!  And naturally, it only printed the logo as well.  The same file, sent as an email attachment to an iOS device displayed and printed correctly, but when the email attachment was opened on a Windows PC, the text of the letter didn't even display (at least the file when downloaded from the web site displayed correctly, it just wouldn't print anything but the logo).

I reading the forum comments, I saw one suggestion to open the Advanced option in the print dialog and select Print as Image, but no such option was available (Print as Image was grayed out).  Then I saw this workaround:  I pulled up the file as downloaded with a right click in the Chrome browser, and the problem was solved.  I noted that this would not have worked for two sided printing, but fortunately this was a single page.

Since a different reader program (the one in the iPhone, and the one in Chrome) prints properly, there must still be a problem in Adobe Reader DC.  Unless I have to get another policy loan, I won't see such a file again, but they may want to alert their other policyholders about the problem.

Oh, one more thing I was curious about:  This company's web site downloads, and some other companies since about a year ago, does NOT put the .pdf extension on their file names.  This means that after downloading the file, I have to open the download folder and rename every file before I can open it in Acrobat Reader DC.  One company USED TO include .pdf but quit about a year ago.  Could this be a licensing issue, that they aren't allowed to put .pdf on a file name for downloading unless they pay an extra license fee to Adobe?  Maybe somebody will know that answer.  Not critical for me, but technically less savvy customers of those companies may have a problem.

Anyway, your suggestion did avoid the problem for me with this file, so I can close my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the exact same problem we print manuals from pdf and the new update has put a blank on part of the page, never happened before.  the printing through chrome does work but wont let me annotate on it before I print so its only half a work around, really could do with a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, Adobe needs to fix this, but in the meantime, here are three possible workarounds:

1) Print As image. In Adobe Reader: File > Print > (Select printer) > Advanced > Print As Image > OK > Print

The downside to this is that the quality of vector art, such as text, will likely degrade.

2) Re-export your PDF with a compatibility setting of at least Acrobat 5 (PDF 1.4). This should work as long as you don't need to print with a specific PDF standard, like PDF/X-1a:2001.

3) If you have Adobe Acrobat Pro, print from that instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe Acrobat and Reader official update (19.008.20074) containing the fix for this issue is now available. This update will be automatically pushed to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader. If you want, you may also manually trigger the update early by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.

More information about this release is here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html

Please try it out and let us know your feedback!

Thanks for your patience and support!

-Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just tried the update and all seems to be resolved

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for your quick and helpful response - works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did go to "Help" and checked for updates.  It said there are no updates.  Should I uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader and start over again?  I didn't have these problems before updating to Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines