• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with hyperlinks from Excel to .pdf files with Adobe Reader X

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the following blocking problem since I installed Adobe Reader X: when, in an Excel sheet, I click on a hyperlink to a .pdf file:

• if Adobe Reader is already open:
    • I get very rapidly the message box saying: "there was an error opening this document. This file cannot be found."
    • then, after I click OK, after sometimes (15s), the document finally opens in Adobe Reader
  • if Adobe Reader is not already open:
    • after a rather long time (1mn 30s, during which Excel is frozen) I get a message box saying "Microsoft Excel Is Waiting For Another Application To Complete An Ole Action."
    • then, after I click OK, after another long time (20s) the document finally opens

In previous versions of Adobe Reader, up to 9.4, documents were opening very fast.

Problem disappears if I uninstall version X and resintall version 9.4, and reappers as soon as I install version X (done twice)

Except for this (which is a real problem) everything seems fine with the new version.

Windows XP SP3, Office 2007

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a complement to previous post:

1) each time the problem occurs, there is an entry in the event observer saying:

The server {B801CA65-85AD-11D0-A1FC-444553540000} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

2) problem occurs on another machine with Windows 7 Professional and Office 2010, with the same message in the system event observer

The only difference with this second configuration is that problem occurs only if Adobe Reader is already open.

3 problem disappears completely if I uncheck the box "Enable Protected mode at startup" in preferences/general

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since OLE could be a security problem, perhaps in protected mode Reader is making sure there is no problem. Or it could be just the growing pains from the new security feature. I'd recommend reporting the problem here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem here. Also in Word 2003 - 2010 and Excel 2003 - 2010.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue with users using office 2003 and 2010, found if i turn off "enable protected Mode at startup" office can again open hyper links to pdf files, this option can be found via edit, preferences, general at the bottom of the screen08-04-2011 11-51-47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me!  (The solution listed directly above.)

I had trouble opening .pdf files as attachments in Office/Outlook 2010 (Windows XP SP3).  I could only save them as files and open from desktop.  Now I am able to click on the attachment listed in the mail message and the file opens.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines