• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question about looking up the right protocol and launching the corect app

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, by the end of 2019 there was an issue about opening a pdf-file in Chrome, and in that pdf-file, there was a link to an other protocol (ibmscp), that would not open. It turned out to a blanc page. Here below i will past the info from Google. Anyway, the issue is fixed, i asume in a later version of Acrobat reader..?
Can anyone confirm this, and let me know in what version this issue is fixed?

Many thanx an regards, Paul.

Chrome ignores customer protocols passed in via command line ( referes to ibmscp protocol) . This was reported as a bug to google but their response is that it is a safety feature. From the google problem report: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=259881

The current behaviour is intentional. Allowing arbitrary protocols from the command line is extremely dangerous. It exposes every registered handler to various bouncing and tunnelling attacks. (The fix for issue 9862 actually blocked a protocol bouncing attack that was later reported against stable.)

The bug here is in Acrobat Reader, which should be looking up the correct protocol and launching the correct app as a handler. That is the only safe thing to do, because only the app initiating the handler has the context to make an accurate security decision. Adobe has disabled all custom protocols as a security measure 
TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF and browsers , PDF forms , View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Chrome doesn't use Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bernd,

maybee i am not clear...
We use HCL connections, if you open a connections community in Chrome, and in the community there is a pdf file, within the pdf-file there is a link to an other file wich should be opend with (like) ibmscp, then nothing happend. Or a blanc tab is opend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does you open the PDF file in Chrome or Acrobat Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open de pdf file in Acrobat reader....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I think you're clear, but you are wrong in your conclusions that Acrobat Reader is involved. You quoted an entirely correct bug report for Google Chrome, then asserted the problem wasn't in Google Chrome at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also this:

The bug here is in Acrobat Reader, which should be looking up the correct protocol and launching the correct app as a handler. That is the only safe thing to do, because only the app initiating the handler has the context to make an accurate security decision. Adobe has disabled all custom protocols as a security measure .

Don't get me wrong, it is working fine now, for the administration i want to know how this is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're opening in Acrobat Reader, why did you start by quoting a problem report from Google Chrome? This is very confusing.  Because the statement "The bug here is in Acrobat Reader" is clearly wrong: "here" must be taken to be the bug report quoted. Perhaps you mean "The same bug is in Acrobat Reader..." 

It is also wrong to say this because it is not a bug in Chrome, as you quote "The current behaviour is intentional.". The same surely applies to Reader. It doesn't do what you want, but that doesn't mean it has a bug. I think it does exactly what is intended. Still if you want to try reporting it as a bug, try https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read this: Don't get me wrong, it is working fine now, for the administration i want to know how this is fixed.

It works fine now. Our software supplier came with the suggestion that the issue was in Chrome. Crome replied that the issue was in Acrobat reader. And, i assume,  after a update of acrobat the issue was gone.
I am just trying to understand what fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome is not a PDF viewer, nor a PDF editor.

You should use Acrobat Reader instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i open the pdf file in Acrobat reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you've so thoroughly confused us all, nobody will now dare to try to answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am truly sorry.  But i am not aware why it seems to be so hard to answer my question...

There was an issue, it is fixed, i just want to know how. There must be something...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines