• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"An app default was reset"

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In our company, we distribute Adobe Acrobat Reader DC as part of our computer "image" (in accordance with the distribution agreement/licensing).
As we are moving toward Windows 10 1809, I am seeing the following Windows error message repeatedly:

An app default was reset
An app caused a problem with the default app setting for .pdf files, so it was reset to Microsoft Edge.

It appears that Reader continues trying to retain its default status, as this message appears, on its own, every few minutes with no user interaction. 
Opening Reader manually allows the user to click on the program's offer to make itself the default program for pdf files. This process takes the user to the Windows default app screens with instructions on how to change the association themself.

It is my understanding from the research I have done that this is the "new" method within Windows 10 to prevent rogue applications from quietly taking over settings, and that the error I am seeing is likely the result of the Reader installer using the "legacy" method of writing the default app preference directly in the registry, rather than the new preferred API method.

Because we are installing Reader silently, and before the computer is delivered to the end-user, there is no opportunity for the API call and manual selection of default app... hence the issue.

I asked Enterprise Support, and they declined to assist aside from instructing on how to change default apps manually, since this is a free application, and directed me to the forums.

Does Adobe have any official suggestions on how to resolve this issue across a wide distribution? Is Adobe working with Microsoft to determine some method of "safely" placing itself as the default application, perhaps as a trusted publisher, etc.?

I have seen a variety of registy entries (hacks) that proport to block Edge from becoming the default application for pdf files, but I am concerned that would only resolve a singular symptom of a larger issue, and would prefer to not further risk the user experience within our company.

Please help!

For reference, below are a couple links that provided the most useful information on this issue:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20170517-00/?p=96175

http://kb.winzip.com/kb/entry/401/

TOPICS
Download and install , PDF and browsers , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?