• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"The document could not be saved. A file error has occurred."

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason certain files will not allow me to save.

I am putting comments and highlights onto a locked .pdf, not modifying the document, just adding to it.

On some days it will save with no problem, on other days I will get this message:

"The document could not be saved. The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."

When I try to save it to a folder, I end up with this message:

Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello davidw85530991

Sorry for the delay in response to your query and apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Adobe Reader is a free product for viewing, printing, signing, and annotating PDFs, you won't be able to save any PDF file using the Adobe Reader, to save or edit  any PDF file you have to subscribe to Acrobat or any Document Cloud services. For more information,  you can refer to Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

If you are using the Acrobat Pro DC, you may try saving the files to another location with administrative privileges and then check.

Is Acrobat or the free desktop version of Adobe Reader is installed, to identify please refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Is it a Mac or Windows OS?

Is it happening  with all the PDF files or with one specific PDF file?

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VERY UNHELPFUL.  I have Adobe full version 10.1.16.  You didn't even read the question well enough to answer.

Very disappointing that you were so careless!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kaanapali,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, the above suggestion is for the user who originally  posted the query/issue, and suggestions shared are related to the mentioned issue.

I have checked the records with your Adobe ID and you are subscribed to Adobe Acrobat Pro 10 license. If you are facing the similar issue with Acrobat Pro 10, then please check for any pending updates of Acrobat from Help Menu>Check for updates. You may also repair the installation files in  Acrobat from Help>Repair installation(only for Windows). Restart the computer and see if this brings any difference.

Note: Acrobat 9, 10, 11 are declared as End of support product, and support is limited, for more information refer to End of support for Acrobat X and Reader X

Feel free to update this discussion in case you need further assistance.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kaanapali,

Are you sure that you are posting in the right thread, as your answer to Anand Sri's entry is not at all related to either the original problem nor to Anand's answer.

Please restrain accusations. If answer is not helpful, please state where it is not helpful.

Regards,

Abambo

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as I see it, it is actually the answers of AnandSri that are unrelated to to original issue, while the reply of Kaanapali is. The OP is obviously talking about Acrobat, not the reader. And trying to repair the installation will obvioulsly do nothing. Looks like a canned reply.

I have the same error with various Adobe products, and as far as I see it, it's always related to Google Drive. While GD synchronizes files, they seem to get locked. But I cannot remember that it ever happened to non-Adobe files. Could still be Google's fault, I don't know. But you Adobe guys, I'd hope that you'd be able to find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it seems to me obvious that when you post to the Acrobat Readers forum, that the problem is related to the Acrobat reader.

But what I said was that Kaanapali​ did not address the problem as described by the OP, nor did he address the problem as described by AnandSri​. This is a forum for users in need for help. It does not help to troll around.

As for your answer, I find it quite helpful. I‘ve seen similar problems on LAN (so  much faster then Google Drive or Dropbox). It may have something to do with the locking mechanism build into Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Well, it seems to me obvious that when you post to the Acrobat Readers forum, that the problem is related to the Acrobat reader.

May seem so. In my experience, many users do not know the difference between Reader and Acrobat. So i'm not surprised that the question ended up in the wrong place. As admins can you not move it, when you see it should be elsewhere?

I am sure it is the locking mechanism. What I don't understand is why this seems to happen exclusively with Adobe products. I cannot remember to have had this with anything else. It could be because Adobe files are the largest I work with, and I save often.

And just a minute ago I read elsewhere that someone has the problem only with Google Drive, not with other cloud storage. Workaround is to pause GD while working on large files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Locking: I can confirm to you: it does not happen exclusively to Adobe products. I have this regularly on...Microsoft products. Never at home, only at work, where the infrastructure is a lot more complex and the IT is quite challenged with all kind of problems... I really appreciate your thoughts as this may be the key to the problem. Thanks for your contribution. May be davidw85530991 can confirm using a kind of network access (and btw using Acrobat DC Standard or Pro)

As of the Forum, where you post: If the user does not use Acrobat Reader and the problem is related to other products, I can move or let the post moved to a different forum. But as it is possible to save even in Acrobat Reader, I do not do this until the OP tells me that he posted in. the wrong forum.  The role of a forum administrator is to be careful on those operations. I won‘t move to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does someone have an answer on this? I have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please state the Acrobat and version you are using!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem " "The document could not be saved. The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."with Acrobat Reader DC version 2020.012.20043 on Windows 10, this error accurs randomly.

It's a fix or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it 2022 and this issue is still happening? I have seen posts on the same topic dating back to 2012.

I am using Acrobat Pro DC Version 2022.001.20112 and after making some comments on a PDF document am unable to save it. Same issue as the original poster:

The document could not be saved. The file may be read-only, or another user may have it open. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder."

When I try to save it to a folder, I end up with this message:

Please provide some assistance on this decade old issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES PLEASE!! I have put in 6 hours total editing a document and while the first 4 hours of work saved, the 2 I did today did not, and now I have spent hours trying all the fixes with no success. I can't save anything and I do NOT want to lose my work.  Adobe Pro DC 22.001.20112

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been getting the same error.  To fix my error I needed to remove the # from the file name.  There must have been a recent update to Adobe, because I never had this issue in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, today is the first time I am experiencing this issue and it was for a very time-consuming document! Hoping someone here has a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact problem just now (Sep 2022) and solved it as follows:

1) I had downloaded document xyz to my Downloads folder.

2) With the doc open in Acrobat, I moved the doc to a Google Drive folder (via dragging the icon from Acrobat to a Finder folder)

3) I modified the document in Acrobat

4) I attempted to save the doc, which failed; I attempted Save As while also failed, as the OP describes.

The problem is that the doc had moved from its original location which is why Acrobat couldn't save it.  This is extremely bad design (it should just save a copy) especially given that Save As also failed (why in the world??).  The fix was to re-download the original doc back into the Downloads folder, which allowed me to save it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines