• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Read Out Loud - Not Functioning

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and love the Read Out Loud Function.  I now have a new computer that's running Windows 10 and Acrobat Reader DC Version # 15.020.20042 that I would like to use the Read Out Loud feature with.  When I load my PDF Document I select:

1. View > Read Out Load > Activate Read Out Load, then
  2. View > Read Out Load > Read To End of Document

(Alternatively I have tried:  View > Read Out Load > Read This Page Only)

Normally, this will cause Adobe Acrobat DC to start reading, but I hear nothing.  I have gone into my Windows Settings and initiated the Narrator and after hearing it work just fine, I have gone back to Acrobat and tried again, but it didn't read anything.  I can't figure out when this isn't working as it should be easy.

Do you have suggestions?  Thanks for your help!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Hi cs9598676,

For testing purpose, could you please disable "Enable Protected mode at start up".

Go to Edit menu > Preferences > Security (Enhanced). Then check if Read Out Loud works.

It is recommended to enable the "Protected mode" after testing is complete.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cs9598676,

Please try to "Repair installation" under Help menu.

Could you please check if it is an issue with all the PDF's.

Try once to use cleaner tool Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs  and restart your system.

Then re-install application from here: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution

Check if it helps.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

Thank you for your reply!  I just uninstalled it,

used your cleaner tool (Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs), restarted my system.

Then re-install the Adobe Acrobat 11 (Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution ).  I still have the same problem.  Do you have any suggestions?  Do you have any problem with Windows 10?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cs9598676,

We tried to replicate the issue on our end. Read out loud working without any issue.

Could you please check the Read out loud options under Preferences.

For that, open application and navigate to Edit menu > Preferences > Reading.

Check if the volume and pitch attributes.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

Again, I using Windows 10 and Adobe Acrobat 11.0.18:  I have looked in Edit menu > Preferences > Reading and below is a screen shot of the settings:

After checking this, I loaded my PDF Document I selected:

1. View > Read Out Load > Activate Read Out Load, then
  2. View > Read Out Load > Read To End of Document (I also selected:  View > Read Out Load > Read This Page Only)

It still isn't reading aloud.  Below shows a screen shot of the Read Out Load Menu where it has been activated and reading should have started.  This is designated by the Pause and Stop aren't grayed out.

I just Uninstalled Adobe Acrobat 11.0.18, used the Cleaner Tool Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs  and restarted the system.

I then Reinstalled Acrobat Reader DC Version # 2015.020.20039 (via the link you provided above: Adobe - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Distribution), and Read Out Load still doesn't work.

Below shows a screen shot of the Read Out Load Menu where it has been activated and reading should have started.  This is designated by the fact that Pause and Stop aren't grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity, using the select tool, can you select individual lines of text in this pdf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2016 Dec 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!  Yes, I'm able to select the text on the page.  I have attached what selecting the text looks like:

I'm having this problem in ALL PDFs, not particular ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cs9598676,

For testing purpose, could you please disable "Enable Protected mode at start up".

Go to Edit menu > Preferences > Security (Enhanced). Then check if Read Out Loud works.

It is recommended to enable the "Protected mode" after testing is complete.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling "Enable Protected mode at start up" solved the problem. I have

some questions regarding this:

1. Now that it is disabled, will this open me up to a virus, etc.?

2. Will I have to follow this procedure every time I use it?

3. Do you have a fix for this problem, so that all this won't be

necessary?

Thanks for your assistance! I look forward to your answers.

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 4:27 AM, meenakshin83966505 <forums_noreply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the information.

1. It is not recommended to disable Protected mode as it provides additional security and  avoid potential security risks associated with files that may have originated from unsafe locations.

2. You can use it for the time till this issue resolves.

3. We need to replicate this issue at our end, please give us some time to work on this. We will update you with the information.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

Thanks for your reply! OK, I will leave this Post open in order to hear

from you when you have an answer.

Thanks.

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 9:07 AM, meenakshin83966505 <

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cs9598676,

Could you please share any PDF on which Read out loud is not working.

I have sent you a private message with an email address to send file. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that it's been 3 years and yet this problem persists. Why hasn't a solution been found yet? I did diable the "protected mode". The voice is working however, the words spoken are 2 seconds apart. It's really annoying. The older version was working well, the new one is giving me problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the problem not yet resolved?

Cuz I have to disable the security to make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today is Oct 11, 2023. After Almost SEVEN years, the same problem still persists. Until when can we use Read Aloud without disabling Protected mode????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the problem for me also. Disabling "Enable Protected mode at start up".

I love to use this feature when I'm proofing an article from print that has been typed into another word processor to make sure no words were transposed or omitted from the original publication.

Glad to find a way to get the Read out loud function to work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

I'm having the same problem on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2.  Read aloud will read the first line or the last line of the document, but nothing in between!  What's happening?  Running latest version of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2015 just recently installed.  Tried the enhanced securities suggestion, but now all the reader says aloud is "Blank" -- I think he's cussing at me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont see such a setting, in what verion of Acrobat was that added? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling "enable protected mode" worked for me also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 2 HOURS of figuring out how to fix this, I came across this answer and it worked.  Thank you so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT is NOT ALL PDF's, I read exclusively PDF'S and NONE have given me this problem with reading through my headphones EXCEPT using the PDF reader!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem as was originally described over a year ago. Luckily for me, disabling Protected mode at startup has made it able to read the document.  It would be nice to not have to lower security to be able to use this function though... Is anyone still working on this? One of the articles I was having trouble with can be found here: https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13195.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Go to the Preferences dialog box of Acrobat Reader by selecting Edit > Preferences.
  2. In the left pane, select Reading.
  3. In the right pane, deselect the Use Default Voice and select a voice from the drop-down list that you have verified installed on your computer.
  4. Click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing to Zira - Security enhancements still enabled worked.

David's voice does not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines