Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove "open recent file" screen on startup Acrobat X

Jan 26, 2011 Jan 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I start Adobe Acrobat X, it opens the splash screen "open a recent file". This is very annoying, because when you use Outlook, and choose to print a PDF document, it opens Acrobat X, it prints, but Acrobat X does not close from itself. I have to do it manually. So when I have to print several PDF documents from Outlook, I need to close every Acrobat X app, so the next document will print. Acrobat 9 did it automatically.

Is there a solution, or a registry tweak, to remove the "open a recent file" screen?

Kind regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

For the registry setting that controls this with 10.1.1, see: http://acrobatninja.blogspot.com/2011/09/acrobat-and-adobe-reader-1011.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've given up on Adobe completely and have removed ver 10 from my computers. My end users are currently using, and enjoying, the free NItroPDF Reader program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the registry setting that controls this with 10.1.1, see: http://acrobatninja.blogspot.com/2011/09/acrobat-and-adobe-reader-1011.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you George!  The registry hack worked like a charm!  I'm sure that my users that have Adobe Acrobat X and those that I have not removed Adobe Reader X from their computers will appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh that's great! Finally.

Thanks very much for finding that.

How do people find this stuff out when Adobe doesn't seem to be very forthcoming about this? lol

Some smart people out there.

It's too late for me. I don't plan to go back any time soon. Hopefully this helps others though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine, Reader shows the list of recent files to open when it's started all by itself - right? Curious, why would anyone open Reader not by clicking on a PDF file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vadim: I have a user that does this. I cannot break her of this habit.

She will open Adobe or Word. Go to FILE > OPEN. Change view to ALL FILES. Browse a network share. FInd whatever doc she is looking for, be it pdf, doc, xls, ppt... whatever. Then will RIGHT CLICK > OPEN WITH..

Instead of just browing with MY COMPUTER.

Drives me nuts...she "has always done it this way".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vadim:  the users in our Law Department usually open Adobe files directly from their e-mail instead of saving the files and then opening them from their network or hard drives because they are under a timeline to get information to the attorneys.  The screen was a pain for them because the file would not open directly and would halt.  I just guess it depends on the situation and there's always more than one way to do something when working with computers (as we all know).  I've got users like @CleveTony that "have always done it this way", but I guess as long as it works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Zoe1959,

When you open from email, it should be in the same way as if opening file from a folder; mail application saves the file in %temp% folder, then opens it just like any other. I would run Process Monitor to find out why it hangs. Also, you can try to uncheck DDE-related checkbox in "file types" of PDF.

Capture-10-27-00002.png

@CleveTony - I had a user who was sending all her email messages in HTML format with colorful textured brown background, set up by "Stationery" in Outlook. She just liked it that way. Until one day when the background image that stationary was based on, for unknown reasons has disappeared from her hard drive...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link in the 'answer' is dead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2020 Mar 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have the same annoying problem but need your assistance on how to load your info into the registry settings.

Please give me the step by step guidence on how to load it... eg goto Registry .. look for ... etc

Thank you 

Farrel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This info is 9 years old and unlikely to be good fir current software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I did nor relise it was so old.... the same problem is here again... notice how many people have the same complaint... half my office feels its waisting a lot of their time. Please show us how to remove this latest update please

Thanks Farrel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which exact update is it that you want to remove, and what version are you running today, exactly?  Are you really running the same software the other folk were running 9 years ago?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines