• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF file saving as Chrome HTML Document

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know why my Adobe suddenly started saving all my "PDF's" as Chrome HTML Documents?  How can I fix this?!>!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Hi, I faced the same problem: Here is how I got on top of it:

1. On Windows 10: Click on MS icon on left corner of the task bar (4 rectangles or windows sign)

2. Right click > Control panel > Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations

3. Sort by Description (Other available options are Name, Current Default)

4. You will notice that the (Adobe Acrobat Document) PDF files have been associated with Chrome html or other similar file types like firefox etc

5. Click any one file name which is

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! I have tried so many other suggestions, but this was the only one that worked.

Phew 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks that worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you it worked! I would have tried Akkanchha's suggestion but I didn't have a pdf file on my laptop to be able to do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you !    note that the pdf is in alphabetical order on the left column and the choice is on the right.  Damn that Chrome for taking over like that. Some places only accept Adobe pdfs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I faced the same problem: Here is how I got on top of it:

1. On Windows 10: Click on MS icon on left corner of the task bar (4 rectangles or windows sign)

2. Right click > Control panel > Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations

3. Sort by Description (Other available options are Name, Current Default)

4. You will notice that the (Adobe Acrobat Document) PDF files have been associated with Chrome html or other similar file types like firefox etc

5. Click any one file name which is the 'errant file type'

6. Click on the Change Program button which will open a fresh Dialogue box

7. Say OK, Save, and exit.

8. Wait for 15-20 secs, (could be longer if you have many many files to be reset).

9. Go back and open any file which was previously acting funny and Voila! it is all set and you are back to the normal world!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2017 Jun 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I'm not the OP, but had the same issue and this fixed it - you're awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@krishnaa0205

I ran into this same issue when I switched to Windows 10. But it was only with the Chrome browser and not Firefox. I would save a pdf from Chrome and it would save it with a .pdf extension and look like it was a pdf but when attempting to open the file, Adobe program would state the file was in the incorrect format or the file was corrupt.

Your instructions were the only thing that worked. Even though the .pdf file type was already set to the correct program, I re-set it to the Adobe program again and now it works. Thank you so much for posting this. Such an odd quirk that was causing me issues.

Thanks,

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Krishnaa0205! Very useful information!  I am not a young user so I really appreciate it!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! These instructions fixed the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you get from step 1 to step 2? When I right click on the MS icon, I do not find Control Panel.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a tech expert, but to find the Control Panel: Left click on the
Windows/MS icon. Left click on Windows System. Control Panel should be
one of the results. For future ease of access, you can right click on
Control Panel and Pin to Start or add a shortcut on your desktop.
DRill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked great, thank you. i have never figured out why pdf changed to html ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, thank goodness! I was completely bewildered by this unexpected problem. 

My only remaining question is why it had to be done at all. PDF format is so universal, why would Chrome do anything to muck it up? It's not exactly a good thing for a corporation to try to poach. It's like the apotheosis of programmers and marketers being out of touch with the user world. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for Item #2, there is no such option called "Set Associations". There is "Associate a file type or protocol with a program" which opens to "Default Apps>Choose default apps".  Chrome is only showing up at default for "email".  There is nothing there with regard to Adobe.  I looked around in this area and there is nothing obvious to choose instead for this nor is there a way to "#3 sort by description.

For people who aren't good with computers, it is impossible to follow instructions that don't actually use the terms used in Windows 10.  I would REALLY appreciate more specific instructions on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same initial pdf issue and also was using the adive from Krishnaa0205 's.. and also found that there was no "set associations". It took me awhile but I found that if you go to
CONTROL PANEL
DEFAULT PROGRAMS *you can just type this term into the "search control panel box at the top
Then.. scroll downa nd under the grey "reset" option there's a list of options. *Don't click the reset, I'm just saying its the next option after that since its easy to find the grey reset box. OK, so right underneath that box you want to click what should be the first option:
CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE
 Then scroll the left side list down until you see: .pdf
RIGHT CLICK on option that is listed to the right of the .pdf (whichis likely a Chrome icon)
After right clicking on the chrome icon, choose the ADOBE icon from the list and you should be good to go. I'll leave the quick steps only below, for ease of access navigating the fix process.

CONTROL PANEL
scroll down or type in search box:
DEFAULT PROGRAMS *click
CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE *click
.PDF ON LEFT *right click Chrome icon to the right *
CHOOSE ADOBE
SMILE & BREATHE

*Best wishes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
an hour ago an hour ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks so much..works for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I signed in just to post this. I wish these companies would get their heads back into reality and stop trying to steal people from other companies. Chrome, I need .pdfs, not fricking browser windows!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and on mac how do you by pass this oroblem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it was working properly under Windows 10.  Then my company updated me to windows 11.  Now it downloads to an html.  I can sort of get around it by printing to a pdf, but under that method, the text will not highlight.  I try to highlight text and it highlights a random blob around the text.  Is there a way to fix this for Windows 11?  I tried following the suggestion above but had no luck.  It also only seems to happen with one particular site, but again, only started when I switched to Windows 11. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS FIX NO LONGER WORKS. THE OPTIONS AND THINGS TO CLICK ON DO NOT EXIST. I AM WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS THE FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM FOR THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF WINDOWS 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First THANK YOU for a real solution (as long as Chrome /Google doesn't decide to hijack my system again. 

I can't believe Google/Chrome has this known issue since 2015 and earlier.  Bottom line, they just want everyone to accept their new HTML links to a document using their Chrome PDF viewer.  "Once you open the HTML link it is the PDF document you are seeing..."  Such a crock because if you try to "upload" their HTML link you get an error message (because it is NOT the PDF document.)  So I can see my PDF's but I can't upload them to other service providers (like dropbox, or PostImage.org etc)

If Google changes this setting back (like after an update or something) I will dump all my Google platforms, not just Chrome.  I can't believe they are not allowing me to save a file type to my OWN HARD DRIVE in the format I wanted. (not the G cloud)

Thanks for your help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just followed Krishnaa0205 s instructions and  it worked pretty well for me !

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Larry,

This is not working for me, I am doing what your instructions say and I can see the program changing to Adobe but I still cannot open the files. For example, I have received an email attachment when I try to open it, it shows with the Adobe symbol and name is lodgement certificate...html but it still is not opening. When I click on the view button (instead of download) the message says

Unable to view 'LodgementCertificate(Owner)for8515917.pdf'

[38445] A failure occurred in the document conversion process. The document cannot be viewed at this time.

Can you help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines