• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

select cursor permanently changed to crosshair

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea how this happened, but it's the most frustrating thing when I use adobe reader primarily to read research papers that require selecting and highlighting text...my select tool has turned into a crosshair cursor and it won't change back to text selector when I hover over text. When I attempted to select with the crosshair it creates a blue box, which is no use to me. I have no idea how to change it back. I've even uninstalled the adobe reader software and reinstalled it. Is this a glitch with an update?...PLEASE HELP.

TOPICS
Comment markup and annotate , General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out. As per the description given above, what I understood is whenever you are selecting "Select tool" or "Highlighting Tool" the cursor changes to "Crosshair cursor" rather than "selection cursor"?

This is not a glitch with the latest update, this generally happen if-

1- You are working on a scanned document, which is full of images and doesn't contain any real text.

2- You have a document which has text as well as images, so on text you'll see normal selection cursor and on image you'll see crosshair cursor.

* You may also share the exact version of Adobe Reader you are working on? Open Reader>Help>About Reader 

Solution-

1- Check with a document that has real text not just images. Work on a different pdf than the one you are working currently. 

2- Choose select tool or highlighter tool and hover on the text. Please share the screenshot of the same. 

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I as able to get the correct behavior in a scanned document by disabling the option:

Preferences > General > Make hand tool select images before text

Then it started selecting text correctly and the cross-hair changed to the text selector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this by unchecking the option: Preferences > General > Make select tool select images before text.

I think this is what the person above meant to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear God, why? WHY do they have to change things that were PERFECTLY FINE before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select "Scan and OCR" and run "recognnize text"

Save and then select tool should show up again.

Writing this because even though I knew it -- I had forgotten and spent 30 minutes trying to change the crosshairs.

It is as said below that the scanned document has images and therefore, text needs to be recognized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I absolutely hate the updates that they have done recently to Adobe. I see this comment is from 2019 but I am not having the same problem. I hope I can fix it. I hate paying for Adobe these days because the program no longer works well for me. I want my old Adobe Reader (the free version). It works much better than this program that I am paying an arm and a leg for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines