Select tool/Hand tool - Changing default preferences

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Reader 9.1.3 and everytime I open a document, the mouse cursor is always "select tool". Even if I change it to "hand tool", the next time I would open the same or even anyother document it would again be "select tool". I need it to remain as "hand tool" everytime should I open the document.

I tried searching for a sort of default preference but couldnt find any. Tried searching for any old thread but there is one which is for version 8 and doesnt help at all. I cannt find the preference directory in version 9.

Thanks very much.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Select tool/Hand tool - Changing default preferences

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Reader 9.1.3 and everytime I open a document, the mouse cursor is always "select tool". Even if I change it to "hand tool", the next time I would open the same or even anyother document it would again be "select tool". I need it to remain as "hand tool" everytime should I open the document.

I tried searching for a sort of default preference but couldnt find any. Tried searching for any old thread but there is one which is for version 8 and doesnt help at all. I cannt find the preference directory in version 9.

Thanks very much.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 08, 2010 0
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Try going at Edit - Preferences - General and there select the option "Make Hand Tool select Images and Text".

If that doesn't help check this

Regards,

Rhadooo0

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 09, 2010 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I found.... Go to:
Edit/Preferences/Accessibility

In the section marked "Other Accessibility Options", de-select the check box labeled "Always display the keyboard selection cursor"

This fixed it for me.

Hope this helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2013 1
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else searching for this in later editions i.e XI for example, this default behavior can be controlled by the "Touch Mode:" option under Preferences > General. Of course, making this change modifies the behavior of Adobe Reader on machines with a touchscreen (refer to here for more details)

Set to "Never" the default tool becomes the Select tool

Set to "Auto" the default tool becomes the Hand tool

Hope this is useful to someone else, as it was a constant frustration for me until I worked it out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2016 7
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mossy98, OMG, finally... thank you very much for paying this forward.  This was the only thing that worked for me and kept me from going crazy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2020 2
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mossy98 - thanks, that was the only setting which helpded. Tried dozens of old tips to make select tool the default, only your's worked.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 1
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  This is what FINALLY got this to work for me, too.  Sighs of relief.  

Preferences >> General.  "Touch Mode" drop-down, set to "Never".  

afk-lli_0-1586800980193.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 1
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!! ❤️ 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 16, 2020 0