Highlighted

Self-updater not working on slipstreamed MSI deployments

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I received a distribution license to deploy Acrobat Reader DC to the computers in my company. I am doing so using a Group Policy in my Active Directory domain. I managed to create a Software Installation policy and have it install AcroRdrDC1500720033_en_US.msi. However, as there are no MSI files after 2015 (only MSP files), I decided that I would just slipstream the MSPs into the MSI so that I can directly install the latest version. I was able to create the admin install, patch the files, and recreate a patched MSI file. It installs normally, even through Group Policy. However, anytime there is an update for Reader DC, it will fail to update itself. It gives an Error 1603, Fatal error during installation. I assume this is because it is looking for the original (1500720033) MSI file (possibly for certificate/hash from Adobe), but can not confirm.

I can continue patching the MSI files everytime there is an MSP, but to install the update, the computer will need the be rebooted. Is there a reason the built-in Adobe Updater will not update a slip-streamed MSI file? Is there another way to install an updated version, so that it can keep itself updated?

I can go back to using the original MSI file if needed, but would prefer to know that everything is updated and secure in a single install instead of waiting for the program to hopefully update itself. I'm sure I can write a script to install the patches and deploy that over GPO, but would prefer everything encapsulated in a single MSI (which I already have).

Correct answer by Leo.X | Adobe Employee

You can't install Patch on the system where you installed "updated version", which I assume is MSI slipstreamed with a Patch.

Therefore "...or install the updated version and manually patch every release" will not work.

You can install base version and either deploy latest Patch yourself or let Updater do the work.

You do not need "years worth of cumulative updates"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Self-updater not working on slipstreamed MSI deployments

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I received a distribution license to deploy Acrobat Reader DC to the computers in my company. I am doing so using a Group Policy in my Active Directory domain. I managed to create a Software Installation policy and have it install AcroRdrDC1500720033_en_US.msi. However, as there are no MSI files after 2015 (only MSP files), I decided that I would just slipstream the MSPs into the MSI so that I can directly install the latest version. I was able to create the admin install, patch the files, and recreate a patched MSI file. It installs normally, even through Group Policy. However, anytime there is an update for Reader DC, it will fail to update itself. It gives an Error 1603, Fatal error during installation. I assume this is because it is looking for the original (1500720033) MSI file (possibly for certificate/hash from Adobe), but can not confirm.

I can continue patching the MSI files everytime there is an MSP, but to install the update, the computer will need the be rebooted. Is there a reason the built-in Adobe Updater will not update a slip-streamed MSI file? Is there another way to install an updated version, so that it can keep itself updated?

I can go back to using the original MSI file if needed, but would prefer to know that everything is updated and secure in a single install instead of waiting for the program to hopefully update itself. I'm sure I can write a script to install the patches and deploy that over GPO, but would prefer everything encapsulated in a single MSI (which I already have).

Correct answer by Leo.X | Adobe Employee

You can't install Patch on the system where you installed "updated version", which I assume is MSI slipstreamed with a Patch.

Therefore "...or install the updated version and manually patch every release" will not work.

You can install base version and either deploy latest Patch yourself or let Updater do the work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They all expect base Acrobat version.

There are to ways to fix it.

1. Uninstall what you have, install base version, let it update to the latest automatically or update manually yourself.

2. Report to your Admin\IT, they should know how to deploy latest version.

So is that a "no, it is not possible to have the updater install an update to an updated MSI"?

I am the IT department, and I know how to deploy the latest version. Is updating the deployment MSI the only way to keep Acrobat up to date? So either install the base version and get automatic updating or install the updated version and manually patch every release?

I guess deploying the base install is the best option. I was just hoping that in 2025 I won't have to download 10 years worth of cumulative update to install Reader. Are you planning to ever release new MSIs (like for yearly or major releases?)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I guess this is good in situations where an Adobe Update would break a third-party program. The update would have to manually be approved, patched into the installer, and deployed.

As for "years worth of cumulative updateS", yes you will. The MSI installer is from 2015. There have been 1089 CVEs since then. I was just hoping to have a single updated installer that would continue to update itself. If Microsoft allowed deployment of both MSI and MSP, this would not be an issue.

Thanks for your help on this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you download anything except the latest MSP? Acrobat and Reader updates have been cumulative ever since 10.0.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't. I never said I would. However, the latest MSP is still years worth of update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC