• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly requiring download and save before I can print pdf?

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no problem a week ago opening a document and clicking on print, it would open and I could print.  Now it is requiring it to download and save before I can print.  I am not sure what is happening or why.  I am using Google Chrome Windows 10.  I am no expert on the computer, so please be gentle with me.  Thank you. 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a PDF in a website through Chrome on Windows and choose to print, the default Desitination is to print to PDF. Are . If I choose to Print a PDF from the browser. There is an option to See more options and choose a printer. Do you get that option?

A lot of PDFs are designed to work better in Acrobat than in a browser. So printing may be more accurate in Acrabat than from a browser.

You say the printing worked OK a week ago. Did you try the same online PDF as before or a new one? have you updated Acrobat or Chrome since then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying, as I mentioned I am not the best on the computer, but am able to understand some of this.

I open the project and click on Get PDF to Print.

Click on Get PDF to Print another window opens.  I click on Open PDF.  Previously it would just open the page and I can print from there.

Now, it opens the download folder, and I have to download it, then before I can print I have to open the folder and print from there.

I have attached a screenshot of the print box.   I have used this same item to be printed for over 2 years and have not changed anything.  All of my programs are up-to-date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As try67 has said, your browser may be set to download the file rather than opening it directly.

Does this happen with all web pages that link to PDF? Sometimes a webpage may link to a PDF and force it to eb downloaded rather than opening it.

Here is what I see when opening a PDF in Chrome.
First, im the top right corner, I see the printer icon. To the left of it is the download icon to save the PDF to my hard drive.

pdf_print.jpg

Next, when I click the printer option, I get the following.
pdf_print2.jpg

This is what I was mentioning in my earlier post. Under Destination, the default shows Adobe PDF. I can select See more... to get options to send to a printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly have the same problem. The printer box does not apper. Previously, I click the printer icon and the print box appeared for me to choose the destination and print. That option no longer exists. For example, I open an online account, click the printer icon and it immediately opens the 'save as' for downloads. It does the same with all websites that have a print directly from the site function. This was not the case just a couple of weeks ago.

I went to settings and there is nothing under site settings regarding printing.

I have no problem printing from apps.

The default printer is NOT set to 'print to pdf'.

I do not want these files downloaded as I have to then go into the file, print it and then delete the downloaded file. This all began when I added the Adobe extension to my Chrome browser. I have disabled it, but it still forces downloads instead of printing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the browser to display the file within it, but then you won't be using Reader.

This setting is available under Settings - Site Settings - Content - PDF Documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2024 Apr 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this same issue.  Downloads were quickly using up hard drive.  It was maddening.  

Try this:

Go to: Settings then Privacy & Security then PDF Documents.

Change this setting from "Download to PDF's"     to      "Open PDF's in Chrome"  

Hope this helps!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines