• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Action Cannot Be Completed Because The File Is Open In Another Program

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any time I try to delete or move the file from its location on the shared drive, I get this error. Yes, I have seen the suggestion that I disable preview pane and change layout to tile - none of these have worked. In addition, any time I make a comment, I am forced to rename the file. This is absurd. What I need:

1. To be able to make comments without having to rename the file every time.

2. To be able to move/delete the file FROM ITS NETWORK LOCATION without getting that error message.

This shouldn't be that hard. Please advise.

Thank you,

Josh

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS version? Application version?

Basically, it's not a good idea to work on a file that's on a shared network folder directly. Someone else might have it open and thereby lock it from editing by anyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. Window 10 and Acrobat X.

Two things on network consideration:

1. In the instance where we were NOT using a shared review to comment, I can confirm I was the only user with the file open and the problem persisted.

2. In the instance where we WERE using a shared review, it shouldn't have matter and the problem STILL persisted.

This feels less like a "shared network" issue and more like an Acrobat issue. Certainly don't have that problem with any other document/file type/application that we share on the network.

Thanks again for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. we save files in adobe format constantly all day long and when we change the file we have to save over the previous obsolete copy or delete it.  for 7 years I have had no problem with this. recently, as soon as adobe launchs the file, it can no longer be moved, saved over, deleted or anything without me paying my IT person to login and do it.

This appears to be an adobe issue from everything everyone I have spoken to is experiencing.  Does anyone FROM ADOBE have useful to the point information to repair this ASAP????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Josh,

Sorry for the delay in response.

Could you try adding network location to privileged locations and see if that helps. You may refer to the steps given in the following link for the same: Trust Methods — Acrobat Application Security Guide

Keep us posted with the results.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Acrobat Pro DC Ver 2018.011.20040, with some files on the local intranet.  Same issue, cannot delete .pdf files even though Acrobat is closed.  Have tried turning off Windows preview.

Tried the fix above, and although the network location is not listed, the box to "Automatically trust sites form my Win OS Security zones" IS checked.  When I click the 'view windows Trusted Sites' button the Windows 'Internet Options' popup appears.

I am not able to add the intranet location to the 'Privileged Locations' window, the 'Add File' box is grayed out.  But shouldn't it be covered already?

The problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it turns out Premier Pro is usually secretly running in the background all the time, so will have the files you use open in it, meaning you cant delete, move or rename them until you actually have the program close.

Now Premier Pro wont show up in the normal task manager window on PC after you've clicked ''close''. It's hidden - you have to look in the processes section, and then manually end task on Premier Pro. Another example of Adobe software sometimes being so genuinely unworkable from day to day I really don't understand how they are the industry standard....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is about Adobe Acrobat. For questions about Premier Pro go here: Premiere Pro CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay noted, but exactly the same thing was happening with Pr as with Acrobat so it may be a similar fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be a couple years late in answering your question, but hopefully this will help others.

I was having the same issues as you.  What I figured out is if my file is still syncing to OneDrive or another shared drive, I have to wait for it to complete that process before moving on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks this seems to work. I have to edit cover letters every month for invoices.

If I edit a PDF, I don't save it right away. I move on to the next cover letter, then I go back and save the previous file I was working on. So far I haven't had to change the name. I guess it gives whatever program time to sync that's open in the background. It takes me about 30 seconds to edit a file since I'm mostly only changing a date and/or name in a few places. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program" It's an common sage 50 accounting error, reposted by users. You can resolve this error by some simple methods. To learn how to fix The action cannot be completed because the file is open in another program visit Accounting Advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines