It all started with Adobe Reader not starting and running. A notice came up after awhile claiming that the Adobe Reader is no longer free, and that I must pay. So I made contact with Accounts and I thought that I had the mixup squared away. But then another problem reared it's ugly head. My password stopped working right after my talk with Accounts. So I tried updating my password, but the "password" that I want to use was rejected by the Adobe S/W that is used to service their customer calls. And now I having a difficult time getting through to Adobe?
Is there some reason for all these problems making themselves known when I'm trying to get the Adobe Reader running again?
1. Adobe Reader is very old software. The current software is called Acrobat Reader.
2. Adobe Reader and Acrobat Reader have been and are still free.
Please share the exact messages you are getting about it not being free. Perhaps, for example, you are running the non-free software Acrobat instead of the free stuff.
Ok, you are trying to run Acrobat - that's what the message says anyway. Acrobat is paid for software. So stop that, and run Acrobat Reader instead. Acrobat Reader is free.
If you are double clicking to open files, stop that, and run the app.
(No idea why you would have Acrobat on your system if you haven't paid for it. Maybe a free trial, or the wrong download. If I were you, I would uninstall it).