• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive D:.

Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2013 May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe.PNG

I used to get this message all the time on my previous computer, but it would be several of them.  I was running a Windows 8 machine, 12 GB of RAM, and several card readers slots.  The drive letters displayed would be from my card reader.  I would get these messages when I tried to open any PDF.  If you continue clicking on "Continue" the PDF would still open.  I personally thought it was annoying, but since I did not have to open too many PDF documents I just suffered through it. I recently moved to a new machine and the message stopped.  BUT at the same time I moved to a new machine my boss moved to a new machine.  Now he is getting the message.  Unlike me, he is only getting one message and his machine doesn't have a card reader.  He is running a Surface Pro (Windows 8, 4 GB of RAM).  The other user with a Surface Pro is not reporting any issues.  Any idea on how to fix the issue?  We have tried uninstalling Adobe Reader and re-installing it, but no luck on fixing it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 27, 2014 Feb 27, 2014

This worked for me:

Open Regedit

HLM-System-Controlset001-Control-Windows-Errormode

Change value from 0 to 2

Close Regedit

Hope this helps,

Regards,

HQ

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably means a CD was recently opened with PDFs on it. Look at the recent file list (File menu). Open more files, or stick in a disk (any CDROM).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a tablet, no disk drive for CDs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still, look at the recent file list. Any clues there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user had their settings set to remember the last 5 documents, which was the default.  None of those files were from the "D" drive, but there were a few from a network drive.  I changed the settings to only remember the last document opened (1).  Clicked OK and then close all Adobe windows.  When he opened a new window the message did not pop up, he hasn't restarted yet.  So as of right now changing the amount of documents remembered has resolved the issue.  I will know more over the next few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2014 Feb 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me:

Open Regedit

HLM-System-Controlset001-Control-Windows-Errormode

Change value from 0 to 2

Close Regedit

Hope this helps,

Regards,

HQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked for me! I was having this problem with opening files I worked on, on another computer, both running Illustrator CC 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2015 Sep 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks hquiros001, your advice helped Illustrator bypass that error. I'm not sure what changing the "errormode" value does, but it worked. If anyone could explain it would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a late, but for anyone else who has this issue DO NOT change the value of HLM-System-Controlset001-Control-Windows-Errormode. Once you change it, it disables ALL hard drive system error info that shows up in a box similar to this and could end up causing problems later on when error messages that are supposed to come up don't actually show.

There's actually a really easy way to fix this:

A simple fix I used was to go into disk management and change the letter of the drive that was having problems. Once done, it fixed it instantly and works properly.

If anyone needs me to elaborate, I will do it- just don't change that value, you'll regret it. It makes no sense, you're just covering up the problem instead of solving it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!  We have been fighting this for weeks!  I found this thread, was going to change the value in regedit, but decided to read all the way through the thread.  Saw your post (from last night!) and your fix worked! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem! Glad I could help- I was actually hesitant to post this as I didn't know if it was a direct solution. I might post a full tutorial for anyone who's stuck later on. Thanks for letting me know it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this first (changing the drive letter, as well as removing the drive letter altogether), but it didn't solve the problem for me. The error simply pointed to the new drive letter (or the path without a letter). any additional solutions would be appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, this is a sort of late reply.

It's kind of a hard question to answer to be honest, as literally anything could be wrong. Usually this is because Adobe looks for all the drives rather than finding the correct one.
Is your OS on C:/? Do you have any other drives that are connected (but not in use)?

If you get multiple errors on a program, it might have something to do with drivers and incorrect startup loading. It really depends, and this usually happens on computers used for more than 3 or so years. There can also be issues in the registry, which lead the program to an incorrect path.

However, if it's only one drive per time, it's probably fixable. I'd recommend that instead of changing a drive you partition the hard drive or keep a stationary USB as the drive letter. That way it's always plugged in and will never give you the error: "There is no disk in Drive[]" since you have something plugged in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 27, 2014 Aug 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work tech support at my company and managed to find one of the causes: Trickle charging a blackberry in our environment puts two disk drives on the computer, D: and F:. Unplugging the blackberry removes the disks and stops the error.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines