Highlighted

There was an error opening this document. Bad Parameter

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm with the IT team for my company, and with the Adobe Reader update (20.012.20041) yesterday, we have started running into the above issue when opening an Adobe document.  It will open fine if opened through Adobe Reader, but will not open from double-clicking a PDF document from Outlook as an attachment, or from desktop icons.

I was going to see if there was a way to get the old version of Adobe Reader or if there is a fix for this error.

Thank you

Hi All,

We have released an update today for Acrobat and Reader DC (Continuous Track) desktop application that resolves the issue.
Please update the application to the latest version by going to the Help menu > Check for updates in the application.

For more information on the recent update, you may refer to this link: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousaug2020qfe.html#dccontinuousaugtwentytwentyqfe

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Meenakshi

Topics

Crash or freeze, General troubleshooting, PDF forms, View PDF, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

There was an error opening this document. Bad Parameter

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm with the IT team for my company, and with the Adobe Reader update (20.012.20041) yesterday, we have started running into the above issue when opening an Adobe document.  It will open fine if opened through Adobe Reader, but will not open from double-clicking a PDF document from Outlook as an attachment, or from desktop icons.

I was going to see if there was a way to get the old version of Adobe Reader or if there is a fix for this error.

Thank you

Hi All,

We have released an update today for Acrobat and Reader DC (Continuous Track) desktop application that resolves the issue.
Please update the application to the latest version by going to the Help menu > Check for updates in the application.

For more information on the recent update, you may refer to this link: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousaug2020qfe.html#dccontinuousaugtwentytwentyqfe

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Meenakshi

Topics

Crash or freeze, General troubleshooting, PDF forms, View PDF, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the trouble caused.

As per your description, you receive an error message when trying to open the PDF directly from Outlook.

Please let us know if the issue started occurring recently. Also, does this happens with all the PDF attachments or with some particular ones? 

Are you using Acrobat Reader DC on Windows machine or Mac?

Let us know the Outlook and OS version on the machine.

We will be waiting for your response.

Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The error started happening after Adobe Reader was updated yesterday.  The issue doesn't come directly from Outlook, as all PDF's cannot be opened without opening Adobe Reader first.

All of our machines are Windows machines, the version that I have is 1903.

We installed an older version that works (20.009.20074), but the new version, (20.012.20041) seems to run into the error consistently.

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the information.
Is it happening with all PDF files? Can you share one sample file?

Thanks,

Sweta Karn

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

This is happening with all files that I try to open.  As some other users have said, if you open Adobe Reader, then you can open the file that way, but if you try to open a PDF document without Adobe Reader open, it will fail with the Bad Parameter error.

I can share with you a PDF that is having issues, but don't necessarily see the benefits from that if it's happening with all PDFs.  Even the most simple test PDF I have does not open with the new version.

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CP12,

Can you please share the ProcMon logs as well screen recording so that we can debug the issue on our end and provide resolution at the earliest.

Regards,

Ishita Verma

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Following are the steps to generate the procmon logs:

1. Download Procmon from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
2. Launch procmon.exe.
3. Set the filter to AcroRd32.exe
Go to Filter -> Filter,
Select Process Name -> is -> AcroRd32.exe and click Add.

4. Now try to open the pdf.
5. Go to procmon and click File -> save and share the saved pml file.

In case of any query please let us know.

Thanks,

Sweta Karn

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Meenakshi ,

To provide your details for the Windows systems the issue started well from 12 august with the updated patch before the 12 august update it was running smooth with windows OS with no new windows update patches insatlled in our pcs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, seems to be problem with last version. 

Cannot open PDF files with the new version, older version working just fine. 

And we want to avoid ununstall and insatall old version to all of our clients..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.  Is there a fix for this? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please provide the below mentioned details for troubleshooting the issue:

1. Exacts steps followed which results into issue
  2. Adobe Reader Version(Help>About Adobe Reader)
  3. OS Version details (Mac/Win) 
  4. Is the issue occuring for all pdfs or few?
  5. Share pdfs for which the issue is happening

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Ishita Verma

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem, as of 8/11/20 anyone that has update 20.012.20041 gets this error. If you open adobe and keep it open it allows you to open the PDF's on your desktop or in file folders. However within product integration it does not work. I had to change these users to use EDGE in the interim until a resolution can be found. I tried removal and reinstall, repair, disable of protected mode all with no success. The issue affects all PDF documents and is strictly related to Adobe reader as we also have Nuance PDF and do not encounter the problem with that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encountering same "Bad Parameters" here, as well.

I have a dump file.

Please let me know where I can submit it.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ron5E4B,

Can you please send the sample file as well as dump file to [Email address removed by mod: please ask the user to send files/logs in private message only. Click on the profile icon, and select send message to initiate a private/direct message ]

Also, can you please share the below requested details

1. Exacts steps followed which results into issue
  2. Happening on Mac/Win machine? 
  3. Win version or Mac OS details
  4. Is the issue occuring for all pdfs or few?

Regards,

Ishita Verma

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ishita

Dump file is over 100mb.

Do you have an FTP, etc?

1. Steps to recreate:

a. Confirm Acrobat Reader DC is not running.

b. Double-Click on ANY pdf.

c. Error pops up: There was an error opening this document. Bad Parameter.

2. Error on Windows PC's (Close to 200+ at this point)

3. Windows 10 Pro -  1909 and 2004

4. Issue is occurring on any pdf attempted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you also confirm if disabling AntiVirus software allows you to open the file by double clicking from outlook or desktop icon?

Thanks,

karan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kamalik,

Turning of the AntiVirus, has no effect.

Issue still persists.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, really? You are aware that nearly all modern AV programs have Adobe products whitelisted. You just read through an entire thread of people who did the leg work for you and isolated the issue to the latest update, and after all that you threw the proverbial check your anti-virus advice in to the fray? I am surprised you didn't ask if they rebooted their machine. Silly things like this are why people are opting for products like Nuance (Kofax) and BluBeam. I can tell you for certainty that Adobe's shenanigans have lost 1 huge multi-national construction company who are happily using Blu Beam now. I guess we can continue to recommend our customers to bail on you guys entirely...and if enough do, maybe then you'll take customer complaints a little more seriously. Shameful support, Adobe. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Trending Issue & Solution
Edit PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC