• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Install CS4 Adobe Reader on Mac El Capitan (all other applications were fine)

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

I have CS4 and I'm trying to install it on my iMac running El Capitan. I tried with both the original discs and a download provided by an Adobe Rep. I was able to install everything else, but when it gets to Acrobat, it says, "Acrobat has detected that there are missing components that require repair. Select the optional components you would like to repair and click Continue. Deselect a component to completely remove it. Click Cancel to cancel the component repair process." and then there are two things selected: Adobe PDF Printer and Adobe PDFViewer Safari Plugin. I've tried installing it both with and without these boxes checked. Then, it attempts to correct the issues and then times out before the correction is complete. I've been here for several hours with each attempt. 

A kind representative did a remote into my computer and did the same steps I had previoiusly taken (uninstall/reinstall, and AdobeAcroCleanerTool) -- it didn't work for him, either. He then said that he escalated my case and someone would be with me in 1-2 days. Instead, I received an email that my case was about to close. My issue is still unresolved. The subsequent chat representatives are feigning ignorance and are deliberately obtuse. They then try to direct me to buy the new software. I really just want my existing program to work, so I can move on with my semester in peace and do my work. I've been trying to get this sorted since November, long before classes begin (13 Jan., next Monday). 

Can anyone advise? It should work because, as I mentioned, I have my original discs, and I'm doing an installation not an update. I look forward to hearing from you at your convenience. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

TOPICS
Download and install , General troubleshooting , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Your system is too new for that old version of Acrobat. It was nice of support to try though, but you needed an upgrade. Unfortunately you are in a hard place because your system is also too old for the current version of Acrobat. I assume you do mean Acrobat, not -as you said - Adobe Reader. There’s nothing for you now. If you upgrade the Mac none of  CS4 will work!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your system is too new for that old version of Acrobat. It was nice of support to try though, but you needed an upgrade. Unfortunately you are in a hard place because your system is also too old for the current version of Acrobat. I assume you do mean Acrobat, not -as you said - Adobe Reader. There’s nothing for you now. If you upgrade the Mac none of  CS4 will work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah! Thank you! That makes perfect sense and would've been lovely had any of the reps had simply just said that! I'm running CS4 on an old MBP from the time, but I rarely use it because it doens't connect to WiFi. I figured installing it on my older iMac would work since my new MBP is too new to support that version of the Creative Suite. And, yes, Acrobat Pro 9, not Reader -- I was utterly exhausted when I wrote my original post. I sincerely appreciate your help. Thanks, again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines