• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open an PDF file - Error: the document is damaged...

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I tried to open some old PDF files (0154.pdf) by trying different versions of Adobe reader DC and Adobe Acrobe DC on a laptop and desktop. But I cannot open them.

Here is the error:"Error: the document is damaged and cannot be repaired. Adobe Reader could not open because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

So I use a text editor app to open one file. See the picture below. Is it a valid PDF file? or what kind of the file is? My friend said he could open it before. How did the pdf file get damaged or...? Any advise? Thanks so much.

Andy

adobe-error-1.png

TOPICS
View PDF , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open a PDF in Notepad++ you fist should see a string such as %PDF-1.6. Your file shows nothing of this, so it either damaged or not PDF at all.

radzmar_0-1605378472679.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Radzma and Try67 for your time and help. I have the pdf files on my computer.

I really wanted to find out how the files got damaged?? When I created or "save as" files from MS word documents to PDF files, I usaually would double check them and make sure them work before I put them on my computers. I may forget to check the files.

Would the Adobe Acrobe DC 2015's updates cause the files damage? or MS word, or Windows updates? It's possible if the Windows system got crash when the files on my computer. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask them to re-send it, but this time to place it in an archive file first. Or to share it via something like Google Drive or Adobe Document Cloud. Some email servers don't encode PDF files correctly, which can cause them to become corrupt, like this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines