Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to search for arabic words in a pdf document

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. 

I have an arabic text in pdf document in which I am unable to search for words. No words in the document are found even though they do exist.

I will appreciate any help as to why I cannot search for words in the document.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you make sure that your text is not an image, or outlined?

It could be related to the fonts used in the PDF, let us know what are the fonts used in the document by going to the following menu… File > Properties, then click on the "Fonts" tab to see the list of Arabic fonts. To make it easier for you, do provide screenshot of the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an image, but I don't know if it's outlined or not

Capture d’écran (3).pngCapture d’écran (4).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you select the text, copy it and then paste it in an editor, like Word? Does it come out looking like it should?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I copy it and paste it, I will have unreadeable charactersCapture d’écran (5).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the font encoding in the PDF file is bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, the font is not a genuine Arabic font. I mean it is like AXT fonts in the past where the character drawing is an Arabic character shape but the font table is not Arabic. In the past with AXT fonts, we couldn't search either.

If you have original InDesign or MS. Word document, you may use other Arabic fonts that you purchased or that came with your Adobe subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue file a .pdf file with Arabic and Russian text. I could not find a solution yet, the files were created with Adobe Illustrator.  Does someone have any guesses?   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you see in the font section, are there any fonts listed there? If not, then the text in your document were outlined, hence unsearchable.

This is a sample of a font list…

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 11.03.18 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can see the fonts used, but I cannot search for words. When I try to copy the text I have this unreadable characters:



fonts.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pdf was made using Adobe Illustrator. I don't know if AI has some kind of difficulty dealing with Arabic texts. ocr.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In regards to your original question that text is unsearchable, I can see that the font in the document is Simplified Arabic, this font is a strictly Windows font that doesn't exist on Mac machines. If your Machine is a Mac, I believe the text in your PDF will not appear correctly, hence unsearchable. If you're on a Windows machine, then the content should be searchable, but then I believe something else preventing you from searching the content.

As for copying Arabic text in order to use it elsewhere, this is yet another unsupported PDF issue which many users have discussed many times on this forum. See although Acrobat do support Arabic in some areas, yet few features don't support Arabic at all, unfortunately, at least for the time being as Acrobat Team do say they're considering to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines