New Here ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC v2019.010.20064

Country/Region: United States

Languages: English (United States) only

Reproducible problem. Steps to reproduce:

1. Create PDF file with Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus office, version 1811 build 11029.20108 Click-to-Run, either as "Export" or "Print to Microsoft PDF".

2. Open PDF file with Acrobat Reader DC

3. Select "Fill & Sign" toolbar

4. Select "Add text" tool.

5. Click anywhere on page. Immediately, an error appears: "The operation failed because Adobe Acrobat encountered an unknown error". Only option is "OK".

Additional information:

1. All other features in "Fill & Sign" work as expected, including inserting graphical signature, 'X', check marks, circles, lines, and dots.

2. No security restriction; "Security Method: No Security".

3. Only restrictions are "Document Assembly: Not Allowed" and "Page Extraction: Not Allowed" which I suspect are from Acrobat Reader limitations.

4. I have tried to change the Font used for comments as well as "GB18030 compatible font" under "Language" in preferences to no avail.

5. Un-installed and re-installed as well as repaired Adobe Acrobat DC and the enterprise version as well with same problems.

6. On some fillable forms, I can click on a fillable field without error, type without any text appearing, and then click elsewhere with same problems as above and then usually the application will simply terminate on its own ("crash to desktop") without any further messages. Event viewer logs an event 1001 "APPCRASH" with Fault bucket 1599346196282786051, type 1. Also, prior the following event:

Faulting application name: AcroRd32.exe, version: 19.10.20064.48846, time stamp: 0x5c06cd7c

Faulting module name: AcroRd32.dll, version: 19.10.20064.48846, time stamp: 0x5c06cd70

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0071e4f5

Faulting process id: 0x1ae8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d49974017c0bfb

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.dll

Report Id: 4cda8739-4a05-423a-9041-c35767110df9

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I strongly suspect this is a Font or regional settings problem or some weird interaction with my OS setup. I have an unusual setup with the main OS on the primary drive (C:) and applications on a separate drive. However, I cannot figure out how to solve/reset this issue. It's pretty much a deal-breaker for me at the moment.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the meantime, I downloaded Acrobat Reader XI v11.0.08 and it works fine. However, it is end-of-support so would be nice to get solution to the problem in Acrobat Reader DC. I also tried uninstalled PDFtk and then re-installing Acrobat Reader DC, but I get the same error as described above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have this same error with recently installed Adobe Reader DC. Did you resolve the problem? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines