• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x0041240b

Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day,

Whenever I select an Adobe PDF file (not actually opening it) or if I actuall do open it, I always get this delaying error display: "The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x0041240b". If it displays the error if you click Cancel, or Ok, it closes the PDF, and you need to reopen it, at which the second attempt it does not display the error message. Anyone have an idea what may be causing this?

Adobe Reader Version: 11.0.0.6 (be advised that this problem has be persistent in many versions since V10.00)

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 10, 2014 Aug 10, 2014

OK. I have a workaround for now. @~graffiti posted elsewhere:

"Can you start up Reader after you get the error?

If so, go to Edit>Preferences>Security (enhanced)>Sandbox protections and deselect Enable Protected Mode at startup. See if that clears it up."

This worked for me. Hopefully Adobe will fix the issue by the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader 10 and 11 are not supported on Windows XP SP2; it needs at least SP3 (for the 32-bit version that is).  See http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very similar issue, and I have 32bit XP SP3 with all patches. AcroRd32 is 11.0.07. The error in my case is:

The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x603122f3

The behavior in my case is also slightly different - after clicking OK on the error dialog, I still cannot open the PDF I selected. So far this has been true for every PDF I have attempted to open. I also ran the Repair option on Adobe Reader XI and that made no difference (and I did reboot after repairing).

I have tried PDFs from a variety of sources: created on my system by products such as PrimoPDF and CutePDF and created elsewhere (online) by third parties (such as product manuals). All give exactly the same error, which leads me to believe it's an application error.

This is new behavior since the last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I have a workaround for now. @~graffiti posted elsewhere:

"Can you start up Reader after you get the error?

If so, go to Edit>Preferences>Security (enhanced)>Sandbox protections and deselect Enable Protected Mode at startup. See if that clears it up."

This worked for me. Hopefully Adobe will fix the issue by the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me. thank you .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also worked for me. Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Is there a way to fix this without disabling protected view ?

Thanks ,

David 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, too.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Issue persists in current 32 bit version of Adobe Acrobat running on Windows 8 (work environment)

Solution seems to still work.

Thanks Ancient Brit!

I love I can always rely on decade old fixes like this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines