• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

User cannot edit adobe .pdf

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a single user that cannot edit a fillable adobe file. She has the same version of reader as everyone in my org, but for some reason she cannot edit the form. I have confirmed 6 different users can edit it, but for some reason when she clicks on a fillable box on the pdf, she is unable to delete or change any of the text. This is something multiple other users can do. Are there any settings I should be looking for on the computer. I have verified both local admins an non-admins can edit this form. I have confirmed that multiple users in the org can edit the form. I confirmed that .pdf and .pdx are set to adobe reader as the default. The version we all have is 2020.013.20074.

Any assistance is greatly appriciated. I have exhausted most of my resources at this point.

Thanks

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ricky,

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described the user is unable to edit the PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is a freeware application with limited functionalities. It is used to view, read,fill, sign and annotate PDF (Comment and highlight). 

You cannot make permanent changes to text or images inside PDF files using Acrobat Reader. To edit PDF files, purchase Adobe Acrobat DC software. If you have a subscription to Adobe Acrobat DC, you can also edit PDFs from the Adobe Acrobat Reader Mobile app. For more information please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/in/reader/faq.html 

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amal. I did use the wrong terminology. I said edit. When I meant fill in. This form is able to be filled in by all users except this one user. Everyone including another IT admin, another user from her department, a test user I created and I are able to "edit" this document. I dont know adobe that well, but i have spent close to 6 hours working on this and I have also worked with an adobe tech recently. The users I tested with included. Local admins, no admin, and lower level of access to the network share than both users in the logistics department. Everyone can fill in this form or change details without issue. Only one user cannot. We have confirmed same version, same settings for permissions on the network share, and same programs and settings within adobe. I am hitting a brick wall hard and could use any assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ask her for full-windows screenshots of the application. People often think they're using one application, when in fact they use another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the delay. I opened this ticket and then went on 6 days of vacation and spent a day cleaning up email and catching up after taking time off. I was on a remote session and screen grabbed this. I hope its helpful for your request.

mikew22530127_0-1609278632647.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what this is supposed to show... Is this you editing the file, or the person who is unable to do so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a file I filled in. The reason I filled it in on my computer is because an adobe tech I was working with was saying its not possible once its saved. So i took the exact same file edited it, saved it with new text. Opened it on the users computer that could not fill in the blanks to show that user could still not fill in the form. I know its confusing, but I have spent easily 6 hours on this issue. The tech just spent 2 and are taking a look at the fom to see if they can figure it out. Please ask any questions. The reply did before was on the company account on accident, but is actually me as well. I am back on my account. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you can edit it, you wrote so in your original post... My question was what application was being used by the user who could not edit it? Can you send a screenshot of that?

Seeing the form I'm 99% sure this is a special kind of PDF file, created in LiveCycle Designer, which would further explain why it can't be edited if opened in a non-Adobe application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That picture is from the users computer. I am remoted into the computer using tightvnc. So its smaller than usual since I am on my laptop. The text was added prior to the user opening the file. Its adobe reader dc. Not pro. Forgive me if I am not correctly answering. I have had a long day and my brain is melting a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what happens when they click into one of the blue fields and start typing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, can you share a link to this file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes no problem. So when the user clicks on the blue box. It does nothing. She cant delete. She cant add she cant do anything within the box. If she hits the "restore" button it still clears everything like normal, but she still cannot edit anything. 

Let me load the document somewhere to allow editing or downloading. It looks like I cannot load the file direclty.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worth being very specific about your terminology. If these are fill-in forms, then typing in them isn't called "Editing". It's called "Filling". The difference is very important because the free Acrobat Reader can fill, but cannot edit. I second the suggestion to get screen shots (showing the whole screen, so you can see the app in use).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply sorry about the delay. As I mentioned to the other user. I opened this ticket and took 6 days off. You are correct. Its not edit its fill in. This is the free acrobat raeder not the pro reader. The fill in option has been used by every tested user but she cannot do it at this time. Even though its on the other reply I have attached it here as well to cover grounds. Any help is appriceated. I am working with adobe as well but I feel like they are hitting the same wall unfortunately. I am hoping someone has ran into this issue previously. If the picture doesnt help I can get a better one later. Thanks

mikew22530127_0-1609278736169.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines