• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What Happened to Bookmarks in Adobe Reader X

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2012 Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past couple of years I have been creating MS Word 2007 documents with Heading levels 1, 2 & 3 which when converted to PDF became Bookmarks that were navigable from the Navigation Pane. Since upgrading to Adobe Reader X, Bookmarks are no longer part of the Navigation Pane. I've looked through all the options and can't find a way to enable them. Was this feature dropped from Adobe Reader X? Having my bookmarked Headings available from the navigation pane really made navigation through lenghty documents much easier. If this is something I can no longer do in Adobe Reader X, is there a way to roll back Adobe Reader to version 9?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

You can't create bookmarks in Reader. You can in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're still there. You should see the bookmark icon on the left sidebar just as before; if it's not showing, right-click the sidebar and turn it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right click on the Navigation Pane sidebar, the only options I can select are: Articles, Attachments, Layers, Model Tree and Page Thumbnails. Bookmarks are not on the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case there are no bookmarks in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the problem. When saving MS Word 2007 documents that had headings in them as PDFs, the headings were converted to bookmarks. I can go back and open documents prior to mid-December 2011 and they have their bookmarks, but PDFs created in Word 2007 after that period (about the time I upgraded my Adobe Reader from 9 to X), do not have their headings converted to bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would have nothing to do with Reader. Reader isn't involved in the creation of the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are no bookmarks in the document when you open it, so when you right click nothing comes up, what if you want to create a bookmark in Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't create bookmarks in Reader. You can in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although you can't directly create bookmarks, you cant create comments on certain pages and use the comments tab to switch between your pages. Great for navigating a textbook between questions and answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the fix for this issue. When saving a Word 2007 file as a PDF, in the save file dialog there is an options button. Clicking on the options button gave the option to create bookmarks from Word headings (or optionally from Word bookmarks). Somehow this option had gotten turned off and turning it back on fixed my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your a genius, I got mine activated your the process you mentioned.  The option was kinda hard to find at first but once i selected the bookmark icon, it saved the doc and wallah!!! there it was.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this also display Headings 2 & 3 on the bookmarks pane when opened with Adobe Reader?

Mine shows only Headings 1.

Oh, I got it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you VERY VERY much for this. I looked high and lo for an answer to this question and most of the advice goes around in circles. This worked beautifully. Very grateful. For others, note that there are two steps to get to the Options box. After clicking "save as" and picking pdf as the file type, click the blue hyperlink on "More Options" directly under the file type dropdown. Then click the "Options" box in the dialogue. That is where you can select "Create Bookmarks Using ... Headings."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use FoxitReader to create bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please ignore my reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines