Highlighted

What Happened to Bookmarks in Adobe Reader X

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past couple of years I have been creating MS Word 2007 documents with Heading levels 1, 2 & 3 which when converted to PDF became Bookmarks that were navigable from the Navigation Pane. Since upgrading to Adobe Reader X, Bookmarks are no longer part of the Navigation Pane. I've looked through all the options and can't find a way to enable them. Was this feature dropped from Adobe Reader X? Having my bookmarked Headings available from the navigation pane really made navigation through lenghty documents much easier. If this is something I can no longer do in Adobe Reader X, is there a way to roll back Adobe Reader to version 9?

Thanks

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

You can't create bookmarks in Reader. You can in Acrobat.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What Happened to Bookmarks in Adobe Reader X

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past couple of years I have been creating MS Word 2007 documents with Heading levels 1, 2 & 3 which when converted to PDF became Bookmarks that were navigable from the Navigation Pane. Since upgrading to Adobe Reader X, Bookmarks are no longer part of the Navigation Pane. I've looked through all the options and can't find a way to enable them. Was this feature dropped from Adobe Reader X? Having my bookmarked Headings available from the navigation pane really made navigation through lenghty documents much easier. If this is something I can no longer do in Adobe Reader X, is there a way to roll back Adobe Reader to version 9?

Thanks

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by Test Screen Name | Most Valuable Participant

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're still there. You should see the bookmark icon on the left sidebar just as before; if it's not showing, right-click the sidebar and turn it on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right click on the Navigation Pane sidebar, the only options I can select are: Articles, Attachments, Layers, Model Tree and Page Thumbnails. Bookmarks are not on the list.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case there are no bookmarks in the document.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the problem. When saving MS Word 2007 documents that had headings in them as PDFs, the headings were converted to bookmarks. I can go back and open documents prior to mid-December 2011 and they have their bookmarks, but PDFs created in Word 2007 after that period (about the time I upgraded my Adobe Reader from 9 to X), do not have their headings converted to bookmarks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would have nothing to do with Reader. Reader isn't involved in the creation of the PDF.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there are no bookmarks in the document when you open it, so when you right click nothing comes up, what if you want to create a bookmark in Reader?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the fix for this issue. When saving a Word 2007 file as a PDF, in the save file dialog there is an options button. Clicking on the options button gave the option to create bookmarks from Word headings (or optionally from Word bookmarks). Somehow this option had gotten turned off and turning it back on fixed my problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your a genius, I got mine activated your the process you mentioned.  The option was kinda hard to find at first but once i selected the bookmark icon, it saved the doc and wallah!!! there it was.....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Syed1231 LATEST
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this also display Headings 2 & 3 on the bookmarks pane when opened with Adobe Reader?

Mine shows only Headings 1.

Oh, I got it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines