• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What new computer specs will optimize working with heavily annotated PDFs in Reader DC?

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to replace my old laptop. It runs very slowly when I’m using Acrobat Reader DC to insert text and drawing annotations in PDFs, which can be several megabytes in size and contain 50 or more pages of text with several high-resolution graphics and many hundreds of text annotations. (It’s a frustratingly inefficient way to work on this type of file, but it’s a necessity in my job.) The problem manifests as a few seconds of delay (or sometimes a freeze or even a crash) after each of the thousands of actions I perform while annotating each file, and all of these delays add up and slow down my work. My old laptop is running Windows 10 and has an Intel Core i7 4500U processor with a 4-megabyte cache (up to 3.00 gigahertz), 8-gigabyte on-board memory, Intel HD Graphics 4400, and 256-gigabyte solid-state SATA3 eDrive. (Sorry if any of these details are irrelevant; I know very little about computer hardware specifications and which of them do what.) My question is: When buying a new laptop, what hardware specifications should I look for to optimize its ability to handle this type of work on this type of file?

TOPICS
Comment markup and annotate , Crash or freeze , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

For slowness: This looks a perfectly good spec. You may want to use Task Manager to look at what limit is being reached. I couldn't recommend any particular upgrade for this, you could just be throwing money away when something else is the problem.

A freeze or a crash: this is NOT a problem to be solved by upgrading the system. Generally these are not caused by system limits, but problems with apps or drivers, or very occasionally a hardware fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For slowness: This looks a perfectly good spec. You may want to use Task Manager to look at what limit is being reached. I couldn't recommend any particular upgrade for this, you could just be throwing money away when something else is the problem.

A freeze or a crash: this is NOT a problem to be solved by upgrading the system. Generally these are not caused by system limits, but problems with apps or drivers, or very occasionally a hardware fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is such a great question and why I'm here - I have the same question.

It's a shame nobody was able to answer you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did answer. Am I invisible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines