• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where has the Replace Text tool gone since update yesterday?

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened Adobe Reader DC today and thought the toolbar looked different. The Text replace tool has gone (the one with the crossed-out T and the comment bubble beside it)!

I think Reader downloaded an update yesterday.

If I want to replace text (instead of just deleting or inserting, I can still do it manually (by highlighting the text I want to change and typing my changes). However, the changes appear in red and blue, which they didn't do before (text was just blue before).

I've checked the tools available and there's no option for the Text replace tool any more.

Also, the highlight colour has changed - it's now orange instead of yellow. Is this because of the update too?>

Was this meant to happen? I use the Replace text tool a lot. Please can In have it back?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version do you have (please use Help > About Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. This will be something like 2015.123.03434)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 2015.016.20039.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

Thanks for reaching us.

The color of highlight change is expected behavior and you can also change the color by using color picker tool which gets activated when you select the Highlight Tool.

For query 2 #

Replace Text is now enhanced and integrated with smart T* tool .

For Replace Text now you just have to select the text and start typing ,

You can also check Pop up behavior settings in Commenting preference and check " Automatically open comment pop-ups for comments other than notes".

With this option enable you just need to highlight the text and pop up will open in comment list.

For more detail : What's new in Adobe Acrobat DC

Thanks

Acrobat Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar experience to that of janeh. It isn't helpful to make such a change in an invisible update, with no explanation. Can you explain what the 'smart T* tool' is? I can't see such a thing. I can highlight the text (although not as easily as with the old tool) and - as long as the pop-up option is checked in preferences - can type some text in a comment box. But this is not the same as delete and replace. Can you enlighten us please? I don't mind changes in general but this particular change makes no sense and is not an improvement - unless you can convince me otherwise.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not figure out where the T* tool is either, and can't do the replace as Adobe help indicates.

ARGH!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

In earlier version the Text comment Tool with comment bubble was redundant as same thing was done using highlight and add note so  it has been improved now in latest version using Commenting Preference option.

Also T* tool is auto enabled . You do not have to enable it.

After switching to comment tools , you can just

a) Click between the text and start typing for adding any note , (Add note to text tool in earlier version)

b) Select the text and start typing (Add note to replace text in earlier version)

Thanks

Acrobat Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typing works when inserting text. But the replace feature is not working. If I highlight a word or text and start typing, nothing happens.

I can highlight text and then right-click to access the replace text feature. Is there a way to set this to happen automatically. It may be programmed that way with the update, but it is not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Nitish

Your response is not appropriate to my question  (as far as I understand your English). My questions are:

1. Where is the T* button?

2. How do we now DELETE AND REPLACE by using one tool button?

I do not want to insert a note with an instruction to replace text in earlier version. To give clear and precise instructions to typesetters, the DELETE AND REPLACE tool is the professional way.

What cbdunn70 says is interesting - I'll wait for your comment on that.

I look forward to a clear, meaningful explanation. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen

1. There is no T* button any more!

2. You select the text you want to replace and start typing. This should work - it does on mine (I started this thread yesterday). The new text appears just as it did before, but the deleted text has a red line through it and there is a blue insertion mark for inserted text. the text appears in the comments bar down the RH side of the page as before.

There is still an insert button and a delete button, as before.

Hope this helps!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm that it is not working as described... at least consistently.

In the file I'm working with (PDF generated from FrameMaker 11), I see the following behavior.

• When I insert the cursor in text and type, I do get the insert function.
  • When I highlight text in my body content, I do not get the replace function.

However, I've noticed that if I highlight a callout in a graphic (graphics in Illustrator with callouts (in Illustrator) linked into FM files, I do get the auto replace function when I simply start typing. It's only in the body text of the PDF files that the replace function doesn't happen automatically. I can highlight the text and then right-click... I do get the option to replace text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane for replying ('Acrobat Team' seems to consist of one hapless fellow).

As well as the 'highlight and type' way, right clicking on highlighted text brings up suitable options (as cbdunn mentioned). I feel foolish for not having known that. Tut.

Indeed, the insert and delete buttons are clearly there!

Best,

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is weird, Karen. Mine generally works but sometimes when I highlight text and starts typing, it just inserts the new text but doesn't delete the old. I didn't know about the right-click trick til today either!

I still think it's poor of Adobe to do such a significant update without any warning.

cbdunn - that is v odd. Hope Adobe can resolve it for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2016 May 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marvellous. Right clicking worked for me. Before that I couldn't get rid of the 'hand' for panning. I was completely puzzled till I read this. Very helpful. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, the Hand! You hate it too? Who uses this? It is incredibly annoying how Adobe capriciously bounces over to using it every chance it gets (I have no idea what triggers this). The correction (workaround) is to click the ARROW selection tool, which I do quite frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sux!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I highlight a word letter-by-letter this "new and improved" replace text tool does work. However, double clicking a word to highlight it and then typing doesn't work.

Also, double clicking and holding the button on a word to highlight it and then trying to highlight the next word doesn't work either.

Just put back the button to replace text and everyone will be happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question - but as the discussion is closed and the Query deemed to have been resolved ( ! ) - I imagine we've all been forgotten about.

While I'm here - there's another disadvantage to the New, Improved version - it's easy to make an accidental insertion of a letter if your finger twitches on a key (which it can quite easily do, especially if you're touch typing). This means the typesetters have to take time to query the comment.

There are so many disadvantages to this version of Adobe Reader. As a professional editor and proofreader who gets through large volumes of PDFs, I've had much opportunity to try and get used to it. I *have* got used to it but I'm not impressed. The changes simply have not been worth the trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

Here you go. We acknowledged and incorporated your feedback of bringing back the "Add notes to replace text" tool to the prime real estate in the Commenting Tool bar.

With latest Acrobat update released July 12th (15.017.20050) you would see this tool listed there and is back in action.Please make sure your copy of Acrobat is updated (Help > Check for Updates to be sure)

Bringing back the efficiencies to your workflows.

-Aj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear A J

Well, I haven't implemented the latest update yet, so I'll wait before saying Thank You  but I'm sure the fact that people's comments have been noticed *will* be appreciated ...

K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too, will Inform you in August

John

Switzerland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, all -

With our latest release on 12th July 2016, the issue reported has been addressed.

To get the latest product update, within the product, click on the menu Help --> Check for updates.

For more information about the release, please refer to the Release Notes and the New Feature Summary web links.

Hope this helps in addressing the reported issue. We look forward to the continued feedback.

Regards,

Reetika Ghai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2016 Oct 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And where is the navigation pane wherein reviewers and recipients can see a list of all the markups the reviewer made? This invisible format is not helpful when a reviewer wants to insert text in a space where the tool types text over existing text. It looks like an illegible mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest release of Acrobat on 11th October 2016, this issue has been addressed.

To get the latest product update, within the product, click on the menu Help-> Check for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines