• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past week I have been trying to open my pdfs using adobe acrobat reader dc and I get the following message - "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." When I reboot I can then open files for a while then all of a sudden the above message starts all over again. I also occasionally get the following message when trying to open - "Application unable to start correctly (0xc0000022)". I have already deleted reader and re-downloaded but problem continues. Any help out there?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

I managed to fix this problem om two computers today.

Run Compability wizard and accept the suggested settings (i think it is Windows 8). Test and save. Works here!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item I am having the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DId you get this fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a solution for this? I am having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump

Any update?

Same problem here. Started about 1 week ago. Can't open pdf files without getting error "windows cannot access the specified device..."

Win 8.1. updated to latest adobe. No permission issues within windows. Using admin account. Shut off all fire walls/protection.

I can access all PDF files for a few minutes after starting; then error message begin. Will not open any PDF files. I tried just about everything in the books. I will try using an older version and see if that works next.

Please Help!

Thank You!

sincerely, Michael.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Luck you will get no help here. Adobe sucks

This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic email or its contents (including any attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message (including any attachments) in its entirety. Thank you.

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017, 3:28:10 PM CDT, mike33stig <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

created by mike33stig in Acrobat Reader - View the full discussion

Bump

Any update?

Same problem here. Started about 1 week ago. Can't open pdf files without getting error "windows cannot access the specified device..."

Win 8.1. updated to latest adobe. No permission issues within windows. Using admin account. Shut off all fire walls/protection.

I can access all PDF files for a few minutes after starting; then error message begin. Will not open any PDF files. I tried just about everything in the books. I will try using an older version and see if that works next.

Please Help!

Thank You!

sincerely, Michael.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9866981#9866981 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9866981#9866981

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Acrobat Reader by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here as well. All started the middle of September 2017. I thought it was compatibility issue with something else I installed, but seems to have happened to a lot of us at the same time so must be an update issue. I downloaded and ran the Cleaner Tool and reinstalled (I almost installed the previous version like Mike33Stig, wish I had now) and still having the same problems. At least I can "Run as Administrator" and then open my files, but I think I will go back and clean it out again and install the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you Hahah. That seems to be The common practice. Thanks Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After several hours I have found a solution. Use the Adobe uninstall tool to remove all traces. Then install the prior version (11.0.somethin). Works great so far. No issues. Hope this helps anyone else the same boat.

Cheers,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You sir, I did that also I did not unistall all traces I don't know how to do that but i did go back too 11 too.

This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic email or its contents (including any attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message (including any attachments) in its entirety. Thank you.

On Thursday, October 5, 2017, 2:15:53 PM CDT, Mike33Stig <forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

created by Mike33Stig in Acrobat Reader - View the full discussion

After several hours I have found a solution. Use the Adobe uninstall tool to remove all traces. Then install the prior version (11.0.somethin). Works great so far. No issues. Hope this helps anyone else the same boat.

Cheers,

Michael

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9869201#9869201 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9869201#9869201

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Acrobat Reader by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike33Stig,

This tells me it has something to do with the lastest update. Did you use Adobe DC? It automatically updates. Can you give me the link to the unistaller please?

Tracy Brown

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called the Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool and it can be found here: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Download and install using the full installer from here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem started about 10 days ago.  very frustrating.  I will try that.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to fix this problem om two computers today.

Run Compability wizard and accept the suggested settings (i think it is Windows 8). Test and save. Works here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nope. Does not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines