• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows cannot find 'c:\.....\AcroRd32.exe'

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to launch Acrobat reader from the start menu I get this message:

adoberr.JPG

When I browse to the folder and double click on the AcroRD32.exe icon - I get the same message

When try to open a .pdf file by double clicking on it - I get the message that the file can't be found - even though I can open these files within a browser

adobfilerr.JPG

Again - I can open these pdf files (with or without acrobat?) in my browser but it doesn't seem to work independent of an HTML browser

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Acrobat Reader - please don't tell me to do that and let you know how it worked - it didn't

Thanks

Natasha

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Could you please try the following steps:

1- Close Reader

2- Hold down Windows key and press R on your keyboard, this will bring up Run dialogue box.

3- Type regedit in the run dialogue box and hit Enter, click Yes when User Account Control pop-up appears.

4- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, delete the key AcroRd32.exe

5- Relaunch Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi natashav15100628,

Could you please confirm if Reader is installed on your computer by navigating to Start menu>Control Panel>Programs and Features

Which Operating System is installed on the machine?

Also, try to select one of the pdf file>right click on it>hover the mouse over Open with>check if Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is there as an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is installed on my machine.

adobeinstall.JPG

Windows 7 Home Premium Service pack 1

Yes it appears under the Open with... > option when I right click on a .pdf file

adobeinstall2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try right clicking on Acrobat Reader DC under Programs and Features then select Change>click Repair installation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please try the following steps:

1- Close Reader

2- Hold down Windows key and press R on your keyboard, this will bring up Run dialogue box.

3- Type regedit in the run dialogue box and hit Enter, click Yes when User Account Control pop-up appears.

4- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options, delete the key AcroRd32.exe

5- Relaunch Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know that.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also had this problem. Deleting that file worked for PDF's saved on my laptop but I still am unable to open PDF's on my daughter's school website that I could open this morning before a WIndows update ran.  Any other tips?  We need these forms.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenniferk,

Could you please let us know what happens when you try to open pdf? Is there any error message you are receiving?

Are you trying to open pdf in a web browser or in Adobe Reader desktop application?

You may refer to the troubleshooting steps given in the following links:

See how to troubleshoot problems opening PDF files and other PDF related issues

Can't open PDF

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the registry key was the right move.

Looks like the long uninstalled AVG didn't really uninstall and was redirecting the path

Thank you! I new it had to be a registry problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! I looked all over the internet to get this to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked a treat - thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ADROBAT. You Rocks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TY  Adorobat!!! You saved me from going crazy!!! This worked beautifully 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me. 
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

This problem had me stumped and confused, uninstalling, reinstalling, applying various fixes for nearly 6 hours .... online with microsoft and adobe ... but this solution you outlined above worked. 

I hate to think of where I would be if I had not found your note. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a million. Had the same problem after a Windows update today. This fix cured it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMGosh!! Thank you SO MUCH!! Even thought this post is older (from 2017) it still worked for me and I had to say thank you. I need the Reader for my work and it just suddenly stopped working yesterday, along with a couple of other things I use regularly (including my Outlook). I was able to get Outlook working using a different method and a 2nd software I use in a different way from that but neither of them worked with the Adobe Reader. 

So, thank you for this and I'm so glad I didn't give up ;o) Have a beautiful day!! ~Kelly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! that worked for me in Brasil.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks for info. I tried everything you said, I've uninstalled, reinstalled. I tried repair. I tried the renaming the acrobat.exe file to acrobat2.exe. I also tried your solution above. Nothing is working. What's worse is the damn application is open already. I'm using an export pdf plug in that has worked flawlessly for a number of years. Some files open fine and up pops my xmp.pdf. Some files I get 'Cannot find Adobe Acrobat application', plus create an association. My xmp.pdf file is still being created and once I create the assocation in the file manager it opens the file fine but I'm having to do this individually file after file, and I work in large volume. Are there any other solutions you can think of. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is awesome. Not sure hiow you would have figured this out. Doesn't it seem that when you uninstall Acrobat it would remove all the old registry entries? So frustrating - so glad your advice was here. I'd have soon pulled out what little hair I have left! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am so glad I finally found this post on the internet.  I have not been able to use Adobe Reader for a very long time.  Even downloaded another free PDF reader that started giving me trouble.  Started requiring me to purchase it to do anything.  Came back to figure out Adobe Reader because it had always worked so well.  So happy to be back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've deleted the key, but nothing changed, still can't open Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find the .exe file and rename it.  I used just "Adobe.exe" and it will open.  Apparently, windows or your AV doesn't like the name.  Microsoft strikes again, as Windows can find the file just fine, it just won't open it.  Language matters.  LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines