Windows Cryptographic Service Provider reported an error: Access is denied Error Code: 2147942405

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm on Internet Explorer and I am trying to digitally sign a document with a smart card and I'm using the proper certificate. It will not allow me to sign it due to the error 214792405, when I go to review the document under the Appearance Integrity Report, I get Report code 4000 Unrecognized PDF content: The document contains PDF content or custom content not supported by the current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.1008-Document contains hidden behavior; Disallowed action type: JavaScript. The document contains hidden actions that may not be intended or known by the end user. Actions include JavaScript actions (document open, save, etc.), playing multimedia, executing a menu item, etc. and 1005-The document contains an XFA-based form; This document is an XFA-based document and may therefore silently alter the document's appearance or behavior.  I've been at it for a good 3 hours now. I can't seem to figure out the actual problem. I don't know if I need to change a few settings on Javascript or what. I tried making a new certificate that requires I enter the password to sign and it works for a little bit but then another window pops-up and it gives me an error saying that it can't verify my certificate. The thing is, it only works on Internet Explorer 11 and requires Adobe Reader but I'm lost at this point because I don't know if it the actual Adobe Reader itself or not. I did check and I have the latest version of Reader DC installed, the 21.001.20142. So any ideas on how I can get the Windows Service Provider to relax and let the PDF do it's thing or at least get it to recognize the PDF document?  

TOPICS
General troubleshooting, How to, Security digital signatures and esignatures, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem with our Org. What version of Windows are you on this started happening to us after the Windows 20H2 update. We contacted Microsoft and they said it's an issue with Adobe's Code. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tyler

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the delay in response.

Please check out the steps provided in the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/key-does-not-exist-error-code-2148073485.html and see if that works for you.

Hope it will help

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not help checked for updated drivers multiple times. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact issue.  I need to digitally sign documents with tokens from my smart card in Internet Explorer, without downloading the document to my computer, as this breaks the forms connection to our database.  When I try to sign the form I get the following error:

The Windows Cryptographic Service Provider reported an error:
Access is denied.
Error Code: 2147942405

I have checked everything I can think of, I have updated Windows, I have uninstalled, reinstalled, and updated Adobe Reader, I have removed the certificates from my device, I have even turned it off and back on again.  My card works to sign into websites that require it, and to sign local files, but I cannot sign the webbased documents.  The fix that has been posted on numerous threads (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/key-does-not-exist-error-code-2148073485.html) does not work.  Any help would be appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix for myself and it may help...

But once on the form you are trying to sign goto the internet options then content tap then certificates and delete the certificate you're trying to sign with. Unplug cac reader and reinsert then try and sign again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have tried reinstalling the certificate unfortunately we are using Certificates issued by Iden Trust so not the same setup as you with a CAC reader and ID card. We think it's an issue with Windows and Adobe. Hopefully, we find a fix soon I have had to resort to using an older build of windows to get it to work. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines