• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adobe javascript how to refer to another pdf

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a basic question but I can't find the answer. I am running a script from one pdf and want to change a field in another pdf. To refer to the main pdf, I used something like

var mainDoc=this; 

How do I set a variable to refer to the other pdf?

Originally, I used :

var otherDoc = app.openDoc("second.pdf", mainDoc);

This all worked well but it doesn't work on Reader XI, possibly because protected mode is on and I can't turn it off because it's a computer network at my workplace. I'm trying to work around it by opening the second pdf manually and having it open while I trigger the script from the main pdf. But it's not doing anything.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Ah OK, the title is not really important. Look at the path property.

If the activeDocs method is returning your document then you can access it like this, for example:

var otherDoc = activeDocs[1];

A better way would be to search the array for the document that has the file-name you're interested in, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the documentation of the openDoc method:

Returns

A Doc object or null:

● In Acrobat 5.0, this method returns a Doc object.

● In Acrobat 5.0.5, the method returns the Doc object unless the disclosed property of the target

document is not true, in which case it returns null.

● Beginning with the Acrobat 5.0.5 Accessibility and Forms Patch and continuing with Acrobat 6.0 and

later, openDoc behaves as follows:

● During a batch, console or menu event, openDoc ignores the disclosed property and returns the

Doc object of the file specified by cPath.

● During any other event, openDoc returns the Doc, if disclosed is true, and null, otherwise.

In other words, the file has to be disclosed for this method to return a reference to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. I moved your question to the JavaScript forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply but I have disclosed the file. This was all working on an older version of Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it's probably caused by the Protected Mode, yes. The only way I can think of around that (possibly) is to access the document via the app.activeDocs array. Have you tried that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. For some reason, it doesn't see the two PDF files that are open but it does recognise a Word document that isn't open. ?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's impossible. You need to provide more details as it seems we're talking about two very different things here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it again. It wasn't quite doing what I thought it was -

To test the concept, I used :

var d=app.activeDocs;

for (var i=0;i<d.length;i++){

app.alert(d.info.Title);}

Two PDFs were open - the main.pdf and second.pdf

The alert output was "Microsoft Word - second.docx", which is the name of the original Word document that I created and then saved as a PDF. Any other PDF I open results in a blank alert.

Is there a way of just saying

var otherDoc="second.pdf";

That doesn't work because it thinks that "second.pdf" is a string. But is there something like that that would work?

BTW, thanks very much for taking the time to look at this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah OK, the title is not really important. Look at the path property.

If the activeDocs method is returning your document then you can access it like this, for example:

var otherDoc = activeDocs[1];

A better way would be to search the array for the document that has the file-name you're interested in, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great! That's what I needed. Thanks very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title isn’t really the problem but if you want to see what is happening you need to realise that the title is just a string and not the file name. File > Properties will show you the title, which must be the string ending .docx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines