• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Advice on creating PDF editor

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company is creating some kind of PDF Editor.
We're using pdf.js currently to render the PDF onto the web.
The problem we're having is when the PDF is printed after edited.
The texts are blurry.

We are using window.print(); to print the PDF. But because the pdf.js per se, renders blurry texts, we don't achieve what we want.
What we're currently planning is to integrate it with Adobe DC SDK.

What advice can you give on it?

What things to be taken care of?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Windows and I'm not sure I understand the full dynamics of what you're doing but as soon as you said you are using "We are using widow.print(): to print the PDF." I think I know what the problem might be.

When you use window.print, you are probably not using Acrobat or anything Adobe to generate the PDF and as such, that's a potential problem. ANYONE can make a PDF generator and not all are up to snuff. In fact, most are not very good.

I'm sorry I cannot instruct you how to do what you are trying to do but fortunately there are many PC users who prowl these forums so I'm sure you will get help.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear in mind

- the Acrobat SDK is an interface which uses Adobe Acrobat Pro

- each user needs an Acrobat Pro license

- it cannot and must not be used on a server

To write an INTERACTIVE editor in Acrobat SDK is a major undertaking and you will surely need detailed knowledge of both C++ and PDF internals. The editor in Acrobat, weak and limited as it is, is nevertheless the result of countless person-years work.

To write a non-interactive editor, that is one which acts on known requests and patterns may vary from simple to impossible, depending on the wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is what we're building:
Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 12.36.15 PM.png

the huge red-highlighted box is the PDF. the others are added objects, including the black boxes inside the red-highlighted box. We're not able to achieve what we want using Embed API in this case. What should we do next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you are developing a web interface, not a tool for  individual users with Acrobat Pro to use in their own computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yea. I forgot to mention that it's a web-based PDF editor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must it be self-contained in JS, or can it run client/server with a web service you create?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what "self-contained in JS" means but the app is currently using mozilla/pdf.js library to render the PDF part. We're using Vue.js/Node.js/Webpack on this. The Adobe PDF Embed API seems not giving many options that eventually could mimic the behavior of pdf.js, at least in our use case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Self contained: let me give an example from Adobe's online APIs.

Embed PDF - this is self-contained in JavaScript. All the work is done by the browser. No server is asked to do some of the work.

Create PDF from Word: there may be some JavaScript in the browser, but the Word file is sent to Adobe's servers for conversion, and then sent back. This is not self contained.

The thing is you can use Adobe's PDF Library (separate from Acrobat) on a server, but that's no use if you want to be self-contained in JavaScript.

The problem is that editing PDF in the general case is massively complex. You've shared a screen shot, but it doesn't show what you started with and what edits actually need to be made in PDF terms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines