• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to Secure PDF but still allow text fields to be filled out?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have created a PDF form which includes JavaScript scripts and sensitive data such as URL to Submit the PDF to.

The form is an application form and I am hoping to allow clients to edit the data in the text fields but not be able to access to the code behind the scenes, i.e. the JavaScript and the submission URL. 

I had a quick look on Google but it seemed to be people wanting to lock the forms down as a whole, where I am hoping to still allow the client to edit some fields.

Whats the best way to do this?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set a permissions password to allow form filling but no open password.

permissions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to reply. So will this stop the clients being able to access the code behind buttons, drop downs etc and only allow them to edit the form fields? And this can't be changed unless they know the password?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That is exactly the behavior that the feature was designed to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that it is trivially easy, if you know how (and I will not say how, or with what tools), to see all the JavaScript in a PDF. There is no secret. Do not include passwords, secret URLs, etc. etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good point. It'll keep honest people honest but that's about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines