• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Acrobat DC Imposition pages to printer spreads?

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Acrobat DC have the ability to Imposition pages into printer spreads?

I'm creating a 4-page brochure in InDesign. Each page has a full bleed (.125"). Using InDesign's Export to PDF function, I can have it print Spreads, which marries p2 to p3 (removing the bleeds between them), but it leaves p1 and p4 isolated.

Can I use Acrobat DC to marry p1 to p4 and remove the bleeds between their common edge?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Currently, no! But we might consider such a functionality request! 

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2016 Oct 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use following plugin:

Quite Imposing: home page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I was wondering if Acrobat had the ability inside itself -- without having to purchase plug-ins or add-ons to perform this task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, no! But we might consider such a functionality request! 

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now April 2018. The original question was posted in 2016.

Have you added the ability to create Printer Spreads (imposition pages) when outputting a PDFX file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No! Acrobat can't do this on it's own.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo, I realize Acrobat can’t “do it on it’s own”. I’m trying to determine whether Adobe has added the capability to InDesign and/or Acrobat so we can export a PDFX file in printer spreads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is still “no” - Acrobat doesn't have an imposition feature natively (yes, there are extra cost plug-ins that do the job beautifully) nor does InDesign support any imposition via direct PDF export.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dov,

A disappointing, but clear answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well as this is a Acrobat forum, if you do not put precisely Indesign in the game, you will get Acrobat answers. As Dov Isaacs​ said, the answer is no. I suppose Adobe considers this a too small market for the effort to deliver a quality product. So it let's the field to third party players.

However:

• Indesign has a booklet printing feature and on my Windows system, I use that to create PDF booklets that can be printed with our production colour printer and it does a beautiful job for small-run brochures with not too much pages.
  • You can, with some effort, I agree, manually create a booklet imposition with Indesign. May be you can also find a script doing the job. It shouldn't be too difficult for programming that if you are knowledgable in Indesign scripting.
ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now August 2021 and one imagines this functionality ought to have been added to the Print Production tools by now.

And if not, why?

Adobe products are now subscription-based, and users are locked in to paying monthly for the priviledge of licensing the software. With that fee is the expectation of a rolling advancement in features. It's difficult to believe that it would be necessary to purchase 3rd party software to do something that Acrobat DC should do “out of the box.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here-here interrobang letterpress! It's June 2023...a user should at least be able to set a custom page size, use a multiple-up layout, say 9-up, print a postscript file, and distill it into a producion PDF. Alas and alack, one cannot do this as it is prohibited. Why? Why even require the print-to-postscript rigamarole? Why not just bake that right into Acrobat?

Acrobat, indeed...a high-flying trapese artist you are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not prohibited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 9.15.16 AM.png

That sure does look like it's not allowing me to do it...and File > Save does not give me options to print multiple up, nor does export as postscript. Bernd, I don't doubt your expertise, but can you explain how you do it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do know that there is a difference between not providing a feature and not allowing a feature? 

If you want to save the "Print" version, then just print to PDF? or print to Postscript. 

Or use an automation tool like this one:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Tile-PDF-Pages-Description.cfm

However, tiling pages is not imposition. Imposition is more complicated.

And there is nothing stopping you from creating an Acrobat automation script that imposes the pages. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Differences aside, and since the thread is in regard to Acrobat Print Production tools outputting imposed pages, it might be helpful if you outlined the process, or provided reference as to how Acrobat can impose a document.

E.g., I have a 120-page book I wish to impose as a 4-up press sheet for 16-page signatures (4 over 4 for an 8-page press sheet, two sheets nested for 16). In the end I need to end up with 15 press sheets, and if you want to get really into the weeds, it needs to be output imposed for eight signatures in six 16s, one 8, and a final 16 (for stability in a sewn binding).

TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, this is not a trivial scripting job. But if you want to tackle it, you will need to have some JavaScript skills. The general idea is to create a new document with pages the correct size for the imposed sheets. Place single tile size button fields on the pages in the correct tile locations and then fill them with pages from the original document in the correct order. At the end you'll have a new document with the imposed pages. There are of course lots of details to work out.  But they are just details. It's all very doable. 

Then again, for a fraction of the cost in time an effort, you could just buy Quite Imposing. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use as printer "Adobe PDF".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines